Installation of White Goods

dam099

Does anyone know what the normal charges are to install the following:

Built in electric hob (probably ceramic)
Built under electric double oven

Is this normally done by a sparky or a general tradesman?

Freestanding washer dryer (no choice space wise but to go for the combo)
Freestanding dishwasher

These will both be under the countertop but there are no kitchen unit doors for them so will use the freestanding type. Plumbing has been left in place for them. Is this normally done by a plumber?

For all of this do people normally arrange their own installers or do the likes of DID/Power City/Currys etc. have installers you can use?

The first two could probably be done by a general handiman, presuming all the wiring is in place; the last two are really a DIY job — just connect the machines' inlet hoses to your mains water pipes and open the little taps, insert the outlet hoses into the outlet pipe(s) and plug 'em in! The instruction manuals will probably include a little diagram showing what goes where...

Jaybird, Bord Gais lists all registered installers, searchable by area, on its website [broken link removed].
Leo

Unless your a competent DIY'er then I would get an electrician to install the hob & oven. The washer/dryer and dishwasher are easy to install, just plug & play. Just make sure you don't roll the machine over the pipes when you are pushing the appliance under the worktop.

How about a gas hob: does anyone have an idea of how much this should cost to install and where I would find someone to do it? Presumably you would have to be a gas professional to do this?

You'll need a professional gas fitter. We paid approx €100 about 3 years ago. We are in Dublin

Kiddo said:
Unless your a competent DIY'er then I would get an electrician to install the hob & oven.

If the wiring for both is in place, then it's as simple as wiring a plug, all terminals are labelled.

Leo, I used to advocate this route in the past, until I started to notice a high frequency of dangerous terminations and lack of adequate earthing carried out by some DIY'ers. Again, I would stress that just because something functions does not mean it is safe.

On cookers, the risk of electric shock is much greater due to the fact that the circuit is not RCD protected.

Totally agree SineWave, I've seen some scary installations in my time too.

I've said previously on AAM, when it comes to electrics, if you're not 100% confident you know exactly what to do and how to do it, you really should get a pro.
Leo

Back