installation of electric vehicle home charger

marhurd

Collecting new E.V. this week. Anybody get the Electric Ireland offer of €750 that is on at the moment? or any other recommendations? the car company have an electrician who charges €1,000 for the installation.

I think the consensus at the moment is that the EI offer is the best deal unless you have your own electrician that you are friendly with.

E.g. we got the most basic GARO wallbox for €380 plus VAT and then the electrician charged us €150 to install and €60 for some cabling atc.

Congrats on the car, what did you go for.

Can someone please link the EI offer? Or post some details of it?

Thanks
[broken link removed]

Hard to beat to be honest. If you happen to know a certified electrician you could do as Alkers says and get the charger yourself (for example this one for €260: [broken link removed]) and you could potentially get in for less than the grant. They’re very easy to install, no more complex than a powerful outdoor socket.

Since we're talking about chargers, I want to take ask a question as well without opening a new thread.
I intend to get an EV shortly.
Probably an Ioniq 5 or an EV6.
They can both charge at 11kW on three phases and I would like make use of that at home.

However, it seems that that upgrading to a three phase supply is quite expensive (source).

Does someone have experience with upgrading to a three phase supply?

How much did you pay for it?

Is there some way around the high cost?

Is it even worth upgrading to three phase?

How much driving do you intend to do in the car each day? The amount of time it takes to charge an EV is often quoted assuming you're charging from 0% to 100%. So you see 11 hours to charge at home and wonder will it even be ready to go in the morning.

The vast majority of people arrive home with the battery at 70/80/90% (most people only drive 50km/day), so it's only 30/20/10% you need to add to the car. A standard home charger will charge at 7kW, so adding 20% to your Kia EV6 will only take 2.5 hours.

Granted if you're driving 400km a day you'll need to think a bit more about it, but for the rest of us a 7kW charger at home is more than sufficient.

In my case I have our home charger limited to 2kW so it can make better use of the solar panels during the day, and I only plug the car in once or twice a week.

Since we're talking about chargers, I want to take ask a question as well without opening a new thread.
I intend to get an EV shortly.
Probably an Ioniq 5 or an EV6.
They can both charge at 11kW on three phases and I would like make use of that at home.

However, it seems that that upgrading to a three phase supply is quite expensive (source).

Does someone have experience with upgrading to a three phase supply?

How much did you pay for it?

Is there some way around the high cost?

very few people have 3 phase power in domestic situations. As the post above said unless you are needed top ups during the day from your home charger (unlikely) then forget about it.

Get some solar panels too! But watch out, I’d say based on my own quote search that 60% of the suppliers are fleecing uniformed customers. There is a thread on boards, and page on Facebook which can be informative. It’s all fairly straight forward.

How much driving do you intend to do in the car each day?
That isn't a sensible metric! I need a car that can cope with exceptional use not ordinary everyday use. So think long journeys, cold weather, full load of passengers and luggage, heading for parts of the country where rapid chargers are rare to non-existent. Every ICE car manages this without difficulty. That's the benchmark!
The amount of time it takes to charge an EV is often quoted assuming you're charging from 0% to 100%. So you see 11 hours to charge at home and wonder will it even be ready to go in the morning.

The vast majority of people arrive home with the battery at 70/80/90% (most people only drive 50km/day), so it's only 30/20/10% you need to add to the car. A standard home charger will charge at 7kW, so adding 20% to your Kia EV6 will only take 2.5 hours.

Granted if you're driving 400km a day you'll need to think a bit more about it, but for the rest of us a 7kW charger at home is more than sufficient.

In my case I have our home charger limited to 2kW so it can make better use of the solar panels during the day, and I only plug the car in once or twice a week.
I really hate arguments based on average usage of 50km per day to "prove" that range or charging time isn't an issue. It is!!! I don't want a car that works most of the time - I want one that works ALL of the time. Unless an EV is a second family car, there's a need for something that can cope with whatever series of journeys you throw at it.

Nobody is forcing you to purchase an EV @Baby boomer, I’m simply answering the questions that are asked based on my real world experience of owning one. There are already plenty of other threads on AAM where the points you raise have been debated ad nauseam.
That's fair enough. I respect your real world experience. Mine requires more than EVs can deliver just yet. I like the EV concept for its engineering efficiency and simplicity. Not to mention potential cost savings on fuel and the spin off benefits of not funding Russian aggression or Middle Eastern jihad.
But, there are huge issues with range, charging points and of course upfront cost. These need to be openly considered rather than glossed over in an evangelical rush to adopt what is still an immature technology.

That's fair enough. I respect your real world experience. Mine requires more than EVs can deliver just yet. I like the EV concept for its engineering efficiency and simplicity. Not to mention potential cost savings on fuel and the spin off benefits of not funding Russian aggression or Middle Eastern jihad.
But, there are huge issues with range, charging points and of course upfront cost. These need to be openly considered rather than glossed over in an evangelical rush to adopt what is still an immature technology.
The reality is most people can do just fine as an ev will meet 90 plus percent of their travel requirements and the odd time you need more than that you do a little extra planning there are tonnes of apps to help.

You don’t buy a 8 bedroom house for the one day a year you might need to house that many people why base your car buying criteria on outlying circumstances?

Agreed and I make significant effort in those other threads to steer the discussion away from the conspiracy theory nonsense to the real issues people will face (range, cost, charger availability).

However this thread is about existing owners asking questions about chargers, it’s unfair to ruin another useful thread by starting to debate yet again the merits of EVs vs. ICE.

Back