install cast Iron Radiator

Muffinb

Has anybody installed a old cast iron radiator on to a modern central heating system. If so are any special fittings required as thinking of buying some from a local salvage yard. Also does anybody recommend somewhere that does shot blasting.

Have some very strong people around when you fit them, they are heavier then you think. The connections are either 3/4 inch female thread or most probably 1/2 inch. Either way any plumbing merchants will have valves to suit.

Thanks for that! Are the fairly straight forward then??? Just thought maybe I would need to source the old fittings or something so thats great news. Saw some this morning is salvage yard that will fit our space and will sand and paint them myself, do you know if I need to worry about buying them from salvage yards with regard to quality etc?? There was no rust on the joints and the bleeding valves were there too and the legs were solid.

Just don't want to end up buying lemons and someone saying "what did you expect??" after Ive had them plumbed!!!

Thanks for any advice again!

Muffin

they are ok to fit, may need to adjust pipework as they may sit further from wall than exsiting rad. If they are tall I would recommond wall brackets so they don't mistakenly get pulled over. You'll hardly get the original ones so you can use a lenght of 10mm threaded bar to screw into wall and a nut a washer to catch the inside part of rad. one either side should do it!

Thanks for your help with this, i feel much more confident with them now. I suppose we won't know how they wokrk till there attached and heating up or not!!

Just a bit worried about them being lemons seeing that they are sooo old and form salvage yards as have ever bought anything form them before.

Regards
Muffin

Can you insist that the salvage yard pressure test the radiators before you take them away?

We installed reproduction cast iron radiators a couple of years ago in all but bedrooms and bathrooms. Because they heat up more slowly they're not the best in areas that need quick heat. They do of course come into their own in heat retention when switched off. Overall they give a pleasant heat and look good.
Worth noting that we had to increase the bore of the water pipes feeding the rads as they were narrow bore pipes for slimline radiators and couldn't feed the new larger radiators quickly enough. This may not be necessary (ask your plumber) but if it is the scale of the job might vary depending on your flooring.

Back