Ins claim & co have asked for "a contribution towards the EMBETTERMENT of the car"

R

radarsh1967

I have an insurance claim at the moment and the insurance company have asked for "a contribution towards the embetterment of the car", basically the car needs a new engine and they want me to pay towards it. It is less than 3.5 years old and below average miles with a full service history. I have never heard of it before and there is nothing in the small print of my policy?
All advice welcome.

Re: Ins claim & co have asked for "a contribution towards the embetterment of the car

think this is known as "excess" and should be written on your insurance certificate - its the ammount you pay if you make a claim. the higher the excess the lower the insurance and visa versa.

Re: Ins claim & co have asked for "a contribution towards the embetterment of the car

I think the insurance company are making a case for improving the car by fitting a new engine.

Their case may be that a 3.5 year old car with x miles should have an engine of a corresponding age and mileage. If a a brand new engine with zero miles is fitted, the car is more valuable / improved.

Insurance policies are there to ensure a policy-holder is not out of pocket, they are not meant to give the policy-holder a "profit" as in your case.

Re: Ins claim & co have asked for "a contribution towards the EMBETTERMENT of the car

If the engine was damaged in the accident then you should not have to pay for it, thats what your premium is for.

Who says an engine with lower miles is better and the speedo will still have the same mileage on.

Re: Ins claim & co have asked for "a contribution towards the EMBETTERMENT of the car

That could count for any part sure.

Would you or anyone say that this crash repaired car is worth and more because it has a new engine.

Not likely.

Crash repaired even by dealer will have more impact than a new engine.

Sounds like ins company are being mean.

Back