injury liability

D

dexter

hello
just a quick question

in a licensed premises, a bar for example.
if an off duty bar manager was drinking in the bar in which he worked, and he decided to eject another person from the premises. In doing so, the other person in question retaliated as he was being shoved out the door hitting the slightly inebriated barman causing him some harm, 3-4 stitches above the eye. The person being ejected was leaving voluntarily, he wasn't happy at being refused service but none the less was still leaving without having to be shoved or manhandled.

Would the owner of such a premises be liable for the injury to the off duty barmanager, even though he would effectively have started the fight himself?

The bar manager waited until he had ceased working there (left on bad terms with the owner but of his own accord) and left it almost a year to initiate legal proceedings. At the time of the incident the owner insisted on taking the barman to hospital himself, offered him time off work etc in good faith, the reply to all queries about the injury received and genuine concern at the time was, "i'm fine","don't worry about me" and "it's no problem". However since legal proceeding were initiated, there are numerous medical reports sighting problems with headaches, dizziness, vision etc all starting from roughly when the proceedings were started.

My understanding is that the off duty bar manger would have to prove the negligence of the owner in order to sue successfully, am i correct or do i misunderstand?

many thanks

You should be aware that AAM is widely read, and individuals may be able to identify themselves from your description. Are you sure you want to discuss this on an open forum?
Leo

Thanks Leo, I think ur correct in that I could probably be easily enough identified. I put in the detail to give as clear a picture as possible. I was hoping to get a few answers and then go back and edit my post after to make it less identifiable.

In my opinion case will turn on some of the following:

1. Why did manager decide to eject the other party?
2. Had the manager been working that day?
3. How much alcohol was consumed by manager?
4. Did this happen after hours, insured negligent in leaving third parties on premises??

What allegations has the third party(manager) made against the bar owner in his solicitors correspondence?

Is there CCTV? Witnesses?
Did manager act on owners instructions?

Im just guessing but I think the original poster means the third party was leaving voluntarily until force was used.....?????

If the bar manager is offduty, then he is a customer. Substitute the word 'customer' for 'bar manager' in your story and it will clarify things better. Is this a real case or one of those law exam questions whereby they are using the term "offduty bar manager" instead of customer to confuse the student?