Inherited Property but No Deeds

tonysoprano

My mother left me a property in her will but there are no deeds to it. The property has been derelict for 20 years or more. I would like to sell the site but obviously without deeds i doubt a sale would go through.

The registry of deeds was the system used to register the property but searching of same has proven fruitless, im not even sure it was in my mothers name, she had inherited it from her father but putting his name into searches has unearthed nothing.

So basically the only document i have is the will bequeathing me the property, what should i do next? I have heard of First Registration of the property, is this a road i should go down to put the property in my name? any advice would be appreciated.

Best done by a solicitor well up on conveyancing as you really cannot deal with that property without establishing valid title. This sounds obvious but you might be surprised at what turns up !
You might cross check the land registry in case the property was registered there subsequently.