Inheritance property dispute - unclear will

Having gone through a similar situation I'm afraid there will be no going back to happy families. This issue will be resolved , probably quicker than you think now that offers of payments are being made. The best that you can do is to ensure that you act correctly and can rest easy in the knowledge of that.

I can only echo what others said. This becomes toxic and you have come out the other side having a working relationship, or none. You have to draw that line in the sand for yourself and then live with it.

I've set to see an inheritance where one sibling isn't selfish and unreasonable. Passing down % divided ownership or rights of assets like property always ends in disputes. It's should all be sold then divided. Be far less disputes.

There is always someone unhappy at the end. If they got 100% if everything they would still be unhappy.

Just thought I'd close this off with a final update. As a result of the advice I received on this forum, I better understood (and was able to articulate) my rights and consequently within a couple of weeks I received an acceptable offer to settle the matter without having to go through a lengthy legal process. Thanks to everyone who shared their points of view and especially for the in-depth advice from some forum members. Knowledge is indeed power.

Last edited:
Well done Seán O. Must say I was impressed with the excellent advice you received on this forum. Which you acted upon and were able to negotiate an acceptable offer to you which ends the matter within two weeks of your query. No insane legal fees either. (Be careful about tax).

That’s great news. As you say being able to list what you are entitled to and being able to place a monetary value on it opens the negotiations. Once the other side knew you were on solid ground they had to make a reasonable offer. Glad it is finalised, and so quickly.

Have to say well done Sean, I really wasn't expecting to see this matter resolved so quickly and without the aid of the legal profession
Hopefully now both of you can put this matter behind you and move forward and repair your relationship with each other (presumably)

Well done. It's good to have the matter resolved without a Court case.
All you were doing was seeking the benefit of the i heritance bequeathed to you. Whether that was by access to the property or financial compensation in lieu was up to yourself. In any case your benefactor wished that you got some benefit from her estate.
It is terrible that the other party was attempting to deprive you of your inheritance and fair dues to you for standing up to them.

Well done OP!! What it also shows is not to be defeatist or to walk away from your rights like several posters on this thread were suggesting. As if there was something uncouth in fighting for what was rightfully yours!

Back