Info required re clutch repair?

niceoneted

Hi all,
I have an opel astra 1999 almost 175k on the clock.Had a service about 2 k back and has just passed the NCT with flying colours, and appeared to be running great until yesterday.
It's just not now running smothly. I can feel some vibration coming from the clutch and the gear stick. I'm no mechanic but I have a feeling it's the clutch that's going/gone.
I had a great mechanic that has moved away recently but have gotten a number for another reputable one (I hope).
Query is does anyone know if this is big job and approx how much will it cost. I will be asking him for a full quote as I always do but won't get to talk to him until tomorrow.
I know there is a few fairly good mechanics/car enthusiasts on here so any help would be appreciated and of course if you think it something other than the clutch feel free to inform me.

Does the clutch drag/slip?

Might be an engine mounting? 175k is a lot of leg btw

Thanks RS2K
No doesn't seem to drag/slip. I just thought with the vibration coming back through the clutch and gear stick that the clutch must be the problem.
Head gasket has been re done, timing belt isn't due to be changed and it's just had a full service as I said about 2 k back.
Would love to just get another 10/12 months out of it before I change it. I have it since nearly new - ex demo with 10k on it when I bought it at 8 mts old.
Thanks any one else any ideas, costs?

Thanks again RS2K,
just as an update gear stick got stuck in reverse twice today. Engine turns over perfectly and there just seems to be a slight grinding noise from the engine especially in the lower gears. Got the no of 3 mechanics today.2 were out of the country. Will try the other first thing in the morning.
Thanks again, Much appreciated.

Re: Info required re Gear Box/Clutch Repair?

Yes was at the garage this morning and he said it was the gear box that needed replacing. ( I wasn't far off for an amatuer)
Quote then was approx 250 for second hand one which I have to source myself. 250 for the labour and he said I am as well to replace the clutch also while doing this and that would be another 250.
Was this a reasonable quote?
I'm going to get another one quote at least but will have to wait until next week when mechanic gets back from hols.

what do the parts cost? as the box is coming out anyway it should only take 10 minutes extra to do the clutch

he said approx 250 euro for a second hand gear box and that if I went for new it would be more in the region of 800 euro. labour for the whole job 250 euro, 250 euro for the clutch. I thought that was clear enough in my previous post.

you didnt say if the 250 was parts or parts and labour. a clutch kit for one of those does not cost 250, more like 150 which means he is trying it on. are you even sure your gearbox is gone sth as simple as a loose clutch cable could cause the symptoms you described.

do you wanna spend 750 euro on an astra with 175k on the clock ?

Chenge the gearbox oil and see on a vauxhall/opel forum for things like this.
It may be just a bush in the gearbox that's broken and causing the vibration.
Syncromesh could be going too I s'pose.

Pique318 I get what your saying but I was really hoping to get another 12-18 months out of the car. I have not owed a penny on it since it was about 16 months old and it has always been reliable.It is otherwise in great nick so to spend that and if I get another 12 plus months out of it that will work out cheaper than paying a car loan (which I wouldn't need) or paying into car fund for next car so I see it as a cheaper option. Any thoughts welcome on this. It's going to the garage monday.

Back