Info on sending books abroad with An post

M

martin9764

Has anyone used this service from an post they seem to have special rates for sending books abroad on their website but no futher info my local post office dont know anything about it any help please as sending heavy items with an post is expensive thanks

http://www.anpost.ie postal rates, sending books abroad, rates information all they have is a weight guide tried to send at post office but they were charging parcel price told them bout this service they had no clue anyone out there used this would be a lot cheaper than sending at parcel price thanks

Can they not look up the website in the PO to see what you're talking about? Could you print it off and bring it into them? Maybe only bigger POs offer this service? To be honest I find it a bit hit and miss as regards PO services that smaller POs offer or know about compared to larger ones (e.g. my local one versus GPO).

I agree with the above. I tried to get a Sterling Draft Service from my local PO and they quickly told me to go to a Bank to get it done, had to really insist and point out that it is a service advertised on their website. The old gentlemen at the counter looked positively miffed when one of his colleagues confirmed it was a service they offered. Larger POs are probably more used to varied requests.

One must remember An Post have now closed many smaller post-offices and they have been replaced by 'agencies.' The difference is the post-offices were staffed by dedicated people who were kept up to date on all services. Agencies are not similar i.e. they offer very limited service and are usually found in the corner of a supermarket run by a person who is employed by the supermarket owner, not An Post. Hence the inferior service. Chances are, to get full service, it is better to go to a main post-office. On the issue of sending books abroad, in my day (I am a former employee) there was a special service for books, subject to weight limitations. The sender also had to leave one end of the bundle open to make it obvious the parcel contained books only. I am not sure if such a service still exists.

Don't know if this is of any use, but there is a special rate available from An Post if you are an ebay seller.

[broken link removed]

Many routers also allow you to configure specific schedules for specific users (based on ethernet MAC address for example).

Umm... That sounds far too advanced for An Post. ... MAC address.. I see that the government has done away with introducing post codes. !!

Back on topic...
A few years ago a friend of mine was giving courses on MS Excel. In the class were group of 2 or 3 from a local post office. He decided to use calculating Simple Interest as an example. One of the group from An Post complained to him that it was too hard and they never and to do anything as complex as that in their post office.

Towger.

hi all got a reply from an post customer service lady (very quickly) this offer does exist packages are sent ecconomy class and cant be registered all you have to do is mark them as books and leave a little window where customs can verify that they are books charges for sending outside of ireland weight not over 3kg europe 9euro row 14
4kg europe 11.50 euro row 17e 5kg europe 15 euro row 20e going to post office tomorrow will let you know how i get on