Info on Building regulations - insulation.

YouNeek

Does anyone know where I can find up to date copies of the building regulations on line? In particular, I'm looking for thickness of insulation required. I have an architect and builder saying 2 different things, and the homebond site doesn't give any useful information.

I've tried a google search, but can't find the information I'm looking for.

Thanks.

youneek, why dont you post the particular issue here and we'll see what we can offer.....

and always remember, the building will specify the minimum U VALUE required.... different insulations can be used at different thicknesses to meet these values.... and they are only minimums as well...

I am building a new house and have received a quotation for the insulation. Does anyone know if the specifications below meet the building regulations.
Upstairs

140mm Frametherm in slopes
100mm Vertical Short Walls
Remaining Attic Space behind short walls covered with 150mm mineral wool

Ground Floor Ceiling

Entire Ceiling Space lagged with 200mm mineral wool
Sunroom extension all slopes lagged with frame therm
Rear left extension covered with 300mm mineral wool

your upstairs dont....

150mm mineral wool isnt sufficient, 300mm is generally needed... u value of 0.16 required

100 at stud walls not sufficient, generally min 130 needed here...

if frametherm35 is used then 170mm is needed, if frametherm40 is used then 190mm is needed..... to meet u value of 0.2.... REMEMBER 50mm air gap is also required.

insulation in an intermediate floor isnt required..... only where it forms a ceiling, then 0.16 u value is to be met, generally 300mm of quilted or 200mm of rigid PU or PIR board....

sunroom roof is to be the same as insulation on slope above.....

I also received this quotation. Is this sufficient?

Attic : 300mm Fibreglass
Slopes : 100mm Kingspan
Uprights : 2 Layers 100mm Fibreglass
Wings : 200mm Fibreglass
Floor : 150mm Acoustic

The attic is fine, but id also plut this on the 'wings'

Slopes arent sufficient, you will need to 'slab out' with 47.5 kingspan Kooltherm K17

If you squeez 200mm of fibreglass into 100mm 'uprights', then in essence all you have is 100m insulation there... better to cut 100mm kingspan Thermawall and slab out with K17 again....

the insulation in the floor is simply acoustic and not required from a heating insulation point of view...

i spec kingspan above, any of its competitors are sufficient also....

Any thoughts on the attached unanswered attic query below

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=82640

Judging by this thread I will require an additional 47.5mm insulated slab

I would prefer to avoid this situation as it will impede on my attic space.

Please note that this is an unanswered thread for several days, AAM guidlines!

Last edited:
Pope....

is your development an attic conversion???

if so the minimum u value you need to meet is 0.35...

Syd! If you're still there ....... am off down the country to do a full refurb on an externally rendered stone house (walls 2x1" thick). It was also rendered on inside about 20 years ago. However no insulation. I intend to batten walls (2"x1"),fit electric conduit, put 1" platinum boards between battens, screw eurathane backed plasterboard (30mm total) and skim. Is this sufficient? Any advice gladly accepted.

Simeon, what do you mean 1" platinum boards??

2 x 1 battens sound very flimsey, would you not consider 4 x 2 or even 3 x 2...

dont forget the polythene vapour barrier as well....

Hi Syd! Platinum insulation boards ....... looks like aeroboard but with blue/black dash through it. Yes, I can do 3"x2" - was merely trying to conserve space. Do you think that this is enough insulation? Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt be including aeroboard before kingspan..... PU or PIR insulation is significantly better than polystyrene... and certainly use 3 x 2.... the added performance is worth the loss of space....

Theres two schools of though about refurbing old cottages....
The walls should be allowed to breath, and problems start to arise when the wrong finish is applied, like internal plaster etc.... so either refurb to allow the walls to breath, or take precautions when the walls cannot breath...

If you want to allow the walls to breathe the you need to
1. incorporate lime rendering instead of plaster
2. incorporate breathable insulation such as softboard, or even rockwool..
3. incorporate a breather membrane

If the walls are not designed to breathe then
1. incorporate Pu or PIR insulation (foilbacked kingspan)
2. incorporate a polythene vapour barrier behind the studs.
3. NB.... you must ensure adequte ventilation to the rooms to exhaust co2... possibly consider venting through the attic, as the walls are thick...?

The other option is more expensive, but is much better in performance, this is to insulate externally.....

Thanks Syd. Comprehensive and articulate - as usual. Kerry here we come.