Info needed on Thai islands & resorts

M

madser231

hi all,

need some advice, my better half and i are heading to thailand from dec14/07 until jan1/08 . we will be staying in Bangkok for 5 days and have arranged accomodation for this period. my problem is that i have a 4 night window between leaving Bangkok and arriving at ko phi phi island where we intend to spend the holiday period(this is also pre booked). if anyone has any information on where would be a good 4 night to stay i would greatly appreciate it. i would love somewhere idilic and peacefull away from the tourist traps etc.I heard that ko Chang is meant to be beautiful??? any takers!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance.

We're heading to Hua Hin on our next visit. It's reachable from Bangkok by road and rail so no internal flight needed. It's the Thai Royal resort and not as touristy as many other places.

Avoid Pattaya, sleaze central!

the above posters are right. stay away from the popluar commercial places like ko samuai and the other notorious islands. I stayed on an island called ko chang-its a couple of hours boat ride out of bangkok as far as i remeber. it was heaven. had to be dragged away after a month.

the quiter islands are cleaner, quiter, probably safer??, friendly locals and still have plenty of places to eat and drink.

Beach huts-basic but very clean-9 ft away from clean turquoise water. Bliss.

Best of luck.

ps i love bangkok, been there lots of times but is five nights a bit much?

killter

I think 5 nights is a nice length of stay. 1st night is never anything much due to jet lag, so 4 proper nights gives enough time to sample the sights and sounds of this amazing city.

My advice is don't skimp on hotels. I have friends who've been excited by the €30 3* hotels...in not so great areas. We paid about €80 for a 5* (Dusit Thani, Silom Road) and it was worth every penny.

Heading back over early in the New Year, can't wait!