Inflation-proof German bonds

worksop7

Dear all,

I have a question about how to buy German inflation-proof bonds. I'd like to invest maybe 15000 Euro there as a last-resort reserve.

The problem is not the mechanics of buying them: I have a German bank account and already set up an account with the government agency in question (the Finanzagentur).

It's rather that I'm not clear about the situation with buying German bonds directly, rather than through a broker. Do you get a physical certificate/note? How would you sell before term? Is it wise/possible to buy different issues?

I searched but couldn't find any archived thoughts on this. If someone had any ideas or a link to good information on this, I'd be very grateful.

I've been asking a similar type question on 'Safe in the Post Office' thread (I'm not allowed to post URLs) but no response yet.

I am interested in this point too as I would like to have a relatively safe back stop for a modest lump sum of money that is coming my way soon

A side-bar point arising from this type of question if I may.

I am an Irish taxpayer. How would any returns from German bonds be taxed in Ireland ?

What is the cheapest way to buy german bonds from here?

I have no german

I am on Dolmen Stockbrokers mailing list and they sent out a note on German Bonds this morning.

I presume any stockbroker can buy them for you.

Brendan