Inexpensive Gifts for Children?

Rois

I am looking for suggestions on Christmas gifts for lots of nephews and nieces aged 2-12 years please. I am thinking of around €10-€15 per child, but don't want to buy something that just ends up in the pile.

They all like books - any recommendations from parents? The boys also like pc games and gadgets. It would also be possible to double up on some of the gifts as they could share. Any ideas welcome as I've nothing bought for them yet.

I think a board game such as Monopoly or Cluedo is a nice present for a few older kids in the same family - something they can all play together. Or something like the good old fashioned game of Twister.
For the younger kids maybe a selection of Mr Men books - these are €2 each in Vibes and Scribes in Cork so your budget would go a long way. A current craze among young boys around the 4 to 7 age is Match Attack cards - they are 60 cent for a pack of 6 and you can pick them up in places like Easons - they are collectible football cards. Again, your budget would go a long way.

It can be difficult to choose books as a gift unless you know exactly what the child is currently into. Maybe go the route of a book token? It's possible to buy ones that can be used in pretty much every book shop in the country. Spend maybe €10 on the token, then wrap it with a bar of chocolate or a selection box (€2 in Euro€2 and other assorted discount shops) to bulk it up a little :p (I've seen kids of assorted ages getting Easons giftcards taped to a big Toblerone bar, and they were all delighted).

Debenhams have a big range of gadgets in the basement of the Henry Street store. Most are above your budget, but there is a savings jar that counts the money you put into it, and allows you to adjust the balance if you take anything out. From memory, that was about €12 (currently 25% off). They also sell a big range of Top Trumps cards, that might go down well (I'm a grown-up, and still get a kick out of playing these)

For nieces, try looking in Boots for gift sets of make-up or glittery bubblebath - girls can never have too much of this stuff! You could also check out the Totes range of slipper socks - also available in Boots. Practical yet fun :) And most gifts in Boots are 3 for 2.

Hats, scarves and gloves are always useful, and again, particularly for girls, always welcome. Pennys do some lovely ones that aren't overly expensive.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

13 neices and nephews on my husbands side. Eldest is 10.

We went to €2 shop yesterday and filled up on bits n bobs. Some great things there, Barbies are €8 and then things like dressing up shoes, cuddly toys, diaries, planes etc. Might sound a bit scabby but with I'm out of my job in January and I know they'll be delighted to get a few bits n pieces each rather than one 'big' thing that they may not be interested in.
There are loads of books there too.
(No connection to them)

Thanks for all ideas - Easons vouchers sound good, Boots for the girly stuff great also for the older nieces. Must find out about Match Attack - a couple of the boys are big into footie. Also have a Euro Shop here so that's great. Like the idea of the Money Jar that counts (one of the boys is big into saving). Lots to get me started, thanks a mil!

Great idea from Celtywytch to give a gift token with something cheap to bulk it up,

It might not look the nicest present but as a child one of my favourite presents was from a not very wealthy auntie who used to give me a £5 book token for Easons. I LOVED going to Easons after Xmas to the sales and getting LOADS of stuff for my token. Even now, when I walk past or in Easons I always remember the HOURS of fun I had browsing and chosing.

It might sound like a too easy option but I certainly remember it above the more expensive stuff I'd get!!!

Back