Industrial Disputes Irony

dewdrop

For the thousands of workers who have lost their jobs they must be amused to read of the postal workers downing tools because they have to move to a new premises and the airport traffic controllers who will not work new systems. Its time they were brought into the real world

For the thousands of workers who have lost their jobs they must be amused to read of the postal workers downing tools because they have to move to a new premises and the airport traffic controllers who will not work new systems. Its time they were brought into the real world

I suppose it depends if it's the workers who lost their jobs because their colleagues wouldn't vote for a pay cut and instead allowed decimation of the workforce and their own friends and colleagues instead being let go.

Just like employers, employees have proven to be irrational, selfish and blinkered across all sections and sectors.

I suppose it depends if it's the workers who lost their jobs because their colleagues wouldn't vote for a pay cut and instead allowed decimation of the workforce and their own friends and colleagues instead being let go.

Vast majority of small businesses do not have such voting at all. They've just had to leave people go.

Just like employers, employees have proven to be irrational, selfish and blinkered across all sections and sectors.

Most people I know who have taken pay cuts were not given any kind of vote on them at all (including me).
Nor was there any alternative offered to people being let go, they just got called in and axed.

Most people I know who have taken pay cuts were not given any kind of vote on them at all (including me).
Nor was there any alternative offered to people being let go, they just got called in and axed.

Then that's an issue with your employer.

My point is that supposed unreasonable behaviour isn't the sole reserve of Public Sector employees. Plenty of Private Sector employees have engaged in the same. As you have friends who were let go without debate, I have friends who along with 98% of their workforce voted for a pay cut, but because of literally one or two who wouldn't accept it, staff had to be laid off. Yet not one media source carried this story.

It should also be remembered that just because times are tough, it doesn't mean employees have to accept each and every change in their terms and conditions just because "they're lucky to have a job". It's not their fault their careers took them to more secure employment, it's not their fault others have lost their jobs.

Whether or not the current action is based on reasonable or unreasonable demands, the current times aren't an excuse for employees to take every hit their employer wants to throw at them.

Our judgement should be deferred until more information is presented away from a biased media.

Back