Induction Hobs

J

JimiMac

I am looking for opinions on induction hobs. Was originally thinking of getting a gas hob but am now being swayed by the sleek looks and easier cleaning.
Has anyone got an induction hob and regret getting one?

Is there plenty of pots and pans suitable. I tried a few pans so far with a magnet but it would not stick.

Has anybody used a wok (flat-bottomed I think?) on an induction hob? Any comments please.
I have to make a decision tomorrow!

Gas Hobs are pretty handy for making a cup of tea during a power cut. Its' been a source of comfort twice to me in this regard during the last 2 years. Theres nothing wrong with hedging your bets and having both gas and electric.

You need special cookware for induction hobs:

what we are finding is that our brands such as Neff, Gaggenau & Miele are certainly pushing induction in a big way - its certainly a far better option that regular electric hobs for maybe €200 more which over the life of the hob is nothing.

Another option is to go down the route of a domino hob where you buy individual hob units to make up one large hob, i.e a 2 ring induction, 1 gas wok burner, barbecue grill

Have a look at neff.ie or miele.ie - this way you have best of both worlds as suggested above

Regards
Barry

Got an induction hob with our kitchen in 2003 and really love it. It is the dogs. the top does not scar & stain like regular electric hob tops and still looks like new. The brand we got was De Detrich.

Got both Judge & Stellar pots & pans, both good. Only gripe is the frying pan. It is a tefal pan and takes 2 people to lift it.......

For what its worth, it does what it says on the tin, the response is immediate. We were considering gas but we have 2 small kids at the time and the danger potential swung it for us. Never regretted for a second.

My parents got a DeDietrich induction hob about a year ago. Ihave a gas hob in my own apartment. Induction wins hands down due to the ultra-sensitive reaction of the heat settings. If I'm cooking a stew for example on my own gas hob and I want it to simmer so gently that there is just the occassional 'blurp', this will not work on the gas hob, even on the smallest ring on the lowest heat. I have to put the saucepan half on and half off the burner so it doesn't simmer too furiously. However, with my parents induction hob, there are 15 heat settings, and if you set something to 1 for example, it just barely simmers. Likewise if you are boiling water for pasta and you have to turn it off for some reason, like if someone calls to the door, within a couple of seconds of turning the induction hob onto the 'Boost' setting, the water is boiling again. If you have young children, induction is well worth considering as you can put your hand on the ring the minute it is turned off.

Just my tuppence worth

Got a Bosch induction hob & love it. V simple to clean , great control for cooing.Aldi's saucepan set on "special" will worlk on induction hobs.

Usually an induction smybol on base or box to indicate if suitable for induction.

Hope this helps

Mrs ninsaga has been looking at these & was advised by one retailer that the wiring for induction hobs reqire 6mm wires wired directly back to the fuseboard on its one circuit. It has the same requirements as an electric cooker ie 32amp circuit breaker. Is this other peoples experience.
Likewise she was told that the De Dietrich will not work if you have all 4 hobs on boost setting.

Well ours is branched off the cooker supply with no problems.
Also boost is a very high power output and I cannot see any time you would have all 4 on at the same time.
The idea is that they are more efficient than regular hobs as it is the pan that heats and not the hob.
Looking at the manual mine is a 7.9kW while a regular de-dietrich hob is 7kW so in effect any modern hob should be connected up separately assuming you will have all 4 rings on max simultaneously.
Obviously if you have every ring on and both ovens on full then something will trip but that isn't something I have ever seen yet.

Ok.. interesting..... but definitely something that people should be aware of (as it appears that not all sales people are aware of this when selling the product)

For new builds then this can be planned for but for kitchen refits/hob replacement then the existing wiring may mot be suitable.

ninsaga

I cracked our bosch one very easily by leaning on it cleaning the cabinets. Then I bought a replacement cheaper zanussi one which chipped at the corner when I dropped a saucepan on it. Reverted back to traditional electric hob after my loss of 1000euros on induction hobs.

Anyone have any experience of the AEG Zoneless Induction Hob? Apparently you can place a pot anywhere on the hob surface and it wll work...just wondering if it's a good as it sounds?

Anyone have any experience of the AEG Zoneless Induction Hob? Apparently you can place a pot anywhere on the hob surface and it wll work...just wondering if it's a good as it sounds?

No but it sounds interesting - how can you vary the temp on one pot though over another if it is truely zoneless?

No but it sounds interesting - how can you vary the temp on one pot though over another if it is truely zoneless?

Intrigued me as well, according to the maketting material, they have a matrix control panel which will identify individual pots etc. on the surface, and even maintain the heat settings for each if you move them from one spot to another. Don't do a lot of cooking, but I want one purely for the gadget factor!
Leo

We have a DeDietrich induction hob. You can have Boost on only two rings simultaneously (the hob is split into 2 sets of 2 rings, so one in each). It's such a high setting I can't imagine using 2 at once, never mind 4, unless you have a lobster each every night.

It's separately wired back to the CU using 6mm2 T&E cable.

Note that the surface still gets hot due to contact with the hot pans but nothing compared to a standard electric ring.

SSE

would you have any indication as to whether they cost more to run as they draw alot more current?

we have a De Detrich induction hob and its brilliant. Its supposed to save you money as you have instant heat, with no heating up time, a way to test your pots to see if they are compatable is with a magnet, if it clings to the base of the pan your fine as induction works on the principle of magnetic force..so yo don't need and buy very expensive pots! Also the safety aspect is brilliant if you have kids as the power stops once the pot is moved from that area.

Well ours is on order, won't be installed til Feb, will let you know if it lives up to its promises!!!