Independent router with Virgin Mobile data question.

paddyjnr

I recently signed up to virgin media and put the sim in my TP link 4G router. All was fine for about 2 hours, then no internet started flashing.
I took the sim out popped it into my phone and hey presto internet again.
I then placed it back into my router, fixed again for another Hour or so and then dropped again completely.
I used a different sim, the one in my phone and the very same thing.
Also my brother had the same issue, my thinking is Virgin don't like there sims being used in routers and when it's detected, it shuts off the data connection.
It's a pity as Three don't seem to ever have these issues and I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this issue?
Thanks in advance.

I was on VM mobile for a short while maybe 6 months or a year and used tethering now and then. Never really had an issue, but might have only used it for tethering the odd day. So maybe I just didn't notice.

I wondered this about their offer of unlimited data for a fiver a month for the first 5 months. I think tethering would get people dropping the BB and getting that as an alternative.
BTW did you just try tethering from your phone and see if they don't cut that off ?

Mobile data wouldn't be as fast or reliable as regular wired broadband. That's the main issue.

If you only needed very basic broadband it might an option, if you T&C allowed it.

Since unlimited isn't actually unlimited. There's usually some conditions, or limits and reasonable use clauses.

I am using this exact combination (router+virgin sim), no issues so far, but the speeds are very low. 1MBPS for downloads and 3 MBPS for uploads. This is near city center in Cork. Anyone has better experience? or tips to increase the speeds?

Back