Incredibly cheap camcorders on Ebay!!

Gabriel

Anyone know anything about these camcorders. There seems to be a spate of them on ebay.ie and all the sellers (from Hong Kong) look *relatively kosher*.

Anyone know why they're selling so cheap?

[broken link removed]

Well, for a start you'll notice that in addition to the starting price of £14.99
— assuming you could 'steal' it at that, without anyone bidding against you... — you've to add on £20 postage and £5 compulsory insurance (and of course £25 is way more than the real postage cost to the UK from Hong Kong, this is part of his profit... )

So a UK buyer could conceivably get this for £40 and an Irish buyer for about £50, at a guess (and yes, postage should be no more to Ireland, but yes, it is...! I asked that seller once before about posting an mp3 player and it was £10 more to Ireland...)

That's about 75-80 yoyos for what's really a very, very basic mini-digicam — not at all the same as a 'digital camcorder' as most people would understand it. Look at the specs — no zoom, , no sound, 320x240 video output (that's like those little .avi clips you'd attach to an email!), no indication of memory, etc., etc. This would be OK as a semi-'toy' digicam for kids, but nothing more. Lidl/Aldi often knock these kinds of things out at around the €100/€120 mark — but I'd venture their ones are a damn sight better built and more robust. Plus of course they usually come with a three-year guarantee. A yoke like this one probably has a 50/50 chance of stopping working within months, and then what do you do? Pay another £25 to post it back to HK and be offered a replacement — free, but subject to another £25 p&p? Now the yoke has cost you £100/€150...

Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid eBay bargain-hunter myself, and I've often bought gadgets at less than half what I'd have paid here for the equivalent doo-dah! But
(a) These guys are adept at hiding costs, and tbh 96.8% positive ratings isn't that great, for a seller this size on eBay,
(b) I bet you'd be disappointed with the quality/reliability, if you want to do anything more than grab the odd video clip for e-mailing. Blow the picture up to a TV-screen size and it'd be like watching through the bottom of a milk-bottle...

If I was you I'd go into a high street outlet and actually try out a couple of models within or slightly above your price range, and then try the likes of Pixmania for a 30%-40%-50% saving. Or better still, get one brought back from the States...

Thanks a lot Dr M for that detailed reply...after reading what you said I think I'll give this a miss and wait for something better (when I can afford it).

Also watch out for the €5 or €6 Nokia Battery from Hong Kong scam !!!!!