Increasing the value of a property

Kiernp

Hi,

As a result of a fire I need to do a lot of work on a property I own. Aswell as restoring the house I am considering making some changes that would increase its value such as adding a garage.

I would appreciate any ideas re changes that are worth making.

Property Description
4 bed, 1 ensuite, detached, on estate, reasonably sized garden, front and back, no garage.

Regards,
Kiernp

This matches the description of the house I own. I'd suggest the following:

1.Put in folding attic stairs, "Dolle" do a good sturdy timber one for about €150. While you're up there put some flooring down and add an extra light. Also top up your insulation level, oil prices are rising!

2.Consider extra plumbing features such as outside tap for the garden, water softener, larger shower tray in the ensuite (if you have the room). Put a light in the garden and an external power socket.

3.Bump up the electrical spec, e.g. put in extra sockets, feature lights, security lights, additional phone/ tv points. Do all utility/ bathroom/ kitchen areas have proper mechanical extract ventilation? Put in some PIR security lights externally.

4.If you have an understairs storage area put in shelving and an extra radiator, great for airing clothes and wet jackets etc.

5.Put in a washandbasin in one of the other bedrooms (guest room maybe).

6.Put in a central vacuum system (if you think the house is big enough to justify it)

7.Put a simple timber deck/ paved patio area in the rear of the garden. Invest in some well thought out planting.

I've done most of the above, not sure it'll add a lot more to the value of the house but I'm sure it would appeal to any prospective purchaser, as long as this stuff is pointed out. mind you I have seen auctioneers brochures where a bare bulb is referred to as a light feature!

Back