Increased motor premium due to unemployment?

woodbine

My motor policy is due for renewal at the end of the month and as usual i've been shopping around for the best value policy.

I just got an online quote from The AA and thought it was a bit high. ( €685 )

i went back and changed the status of my fiance (he's named on the policy) to "employed" from "unemployed" and the quote dropped back to €396 which is closer to what my current insurer are offering in the renewal pack i received.

Is this possible?

Why should my boyfriend suddenly become a risk because he lost his job?

Has anyone else come across this?

(I've done a search but no results showing up)

thanks in advance for any help or advice. :)

it shoudl not make a difference. are you sure that this was the sole reason for the higher quote, or did AA simply check their computer system and place you with a different insurer?

Could it be because an unemployed person will have more free time and hence be driving more?

My motor policy is due for renewal at the end of the month and as usual i've been shopping around for the best value policy.

I just got an online quote from The AA and thought it was a bit high. ( €685 )

i went back and changed the status of my fiance (he's named on the policy) to "employed" from "unemployed" and the quote dropped back to €396 which is closer to what my current insurer are offering in the renewal pack i received.

Is this possible?

Why should my boyfriend suddenly become a risk because he lost his job?

Has anyone else come across this?

(I've done a search but no results showing up)

thanks in advance for any help or advice. :)

From working inside motor insurance, I believe this to be an unintentional error. I can see no logic behind it. Insurer's only ask your occupation to make sure you're not part of a list of undesirable occupations revolving around the motor trade.

just to close off this thread, AA rang me the next day to ask if i was going ahead with the quote, i explained to them what had happened and the rep seemed surprised. He checked again and came back with an alternative quote of €361.(AXA)

He couldn't explain the original difference i got online.

thanks for replies, have now sorted my insurance with my original company. (knocked €42 off their renewal quote to bring it within €20 of the AXA price so i'm happy with that):)

Back