Increase in supermaket prices

Food and non-alcholic beverages are only 13% of the CPI basket.

The CSO make this hard to find, you have to download and trawl through an [broken link removed].

Food and non-alcholic beverages are only 13% of the CPI basket.

The CSO make this hard to find, you have to download and trawl through an [broken link removed].

Probably roughly corresponding to the % of household expenditure on this category?

"As a proportion of total household expenditure, Alcoholic drink and tobacco fell from 4.9% to 3.3% from 2009-2010 to 2015-2016, while the proportion relating to Food fell from 16.2% to 14.7%. The proportion of total expenditure on Housing increased from 18.2% to 19.6% over this period."

If you owned a supermarket and suddenly lockdown commenced where almost everything else is closed, you’d hardly be instigating promotions.

I always laugh at people giving out about the price of alcohol; alcohol is ridiculously cheap. I can buy bottles of Heineken for 75c. I can remember buying booze when I was in my mid-teens; our price point was £1 (i.e. €1.27) which would only buy you something like Fosters. There was the odd cheaper brand like Bavaria which would be 69p / 90c. Premium brands like Heineken were too expensive at circa £2/€2.50 a can

As for wine, there is usually decent enough stuff available on a ‘6 for €50’ basis in the likes of Tesco.

It’s difficult to argue that booze is expensive.

Not really. According to Eurostat alcohol in Ireland is the second most expensive in the EU.

Remember this is for off-sales and on-sales.

Price_level_indices_for_food%2C_beverages_and_tobacco%2C_2018_%28EU-28%3D100%29-December_update.png

@Gordon Gekko

Not really. From memory the weights are about 50/50 between on and off sales but a long time since I checked.

I doubt Ireland is 77% above EU average for alcohol overall if off-sales aren't well above average too.

It is expensive relative to buying equivalent products in UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and say California.
Both your basic wines and top ones.
Both basic spirits and aged ones for example.
Look at the price of Irish whiskey Red Breast it is expensive in ROI, reasonably priced in N Ireland.
Jameson in cheaper in Calais than Cork.

And there were less promotions on beer in the current crisis, though that may have been due to shortage on supply as more drunk at home.

Last edited:
@Gordon Gekko

Not really. From memory the weights are about 50/50 between on and off sales but a long time since I checked.

I doubt Ireland is 77% above EU average for alcohol overall if off-sales aren't well above average too.

I pay €6 for a bottle of Heineken in a pub and 75c for a bottle of Heineken in a supermarket.

Statistics which include pub sales are completey irrelevant in the context of discussion around supermarket prices.

Last edited:
And there were less promotions on beer in the current crisis, though that may have been due to shortage on supply as more drunk at home.

Thats one of the theories about the lasting effect of the coronavirus that it will really kick off inflation this time due to supply shock, some ingredients and components will be in short supply due to the disruption to the supply chain. Of course we all know about the demand shock but that has been resolved by money printing and people getting paid even though not producing. Now demand coming back with the ending of furloughs but supply still constrained due to difficulties and costs in meeting the requirements for producing with social distancing.

Tesco also tend to put the wrong product on the shelf. And yes I am that person who will tell them brandishing a receipt!

Back