Incorrect overcharging for 'excess baggage' at dublin airport

Splash

Anyone travelling transatlantic or elsewhere with sports equipment such as a snowboard in a snowboard bag should be aware that the services company operating the checkin desks at Dublin airport tried to charge me and other passenger checking in our snowboard bag 175 euro oversize in addition to the 55 euro extra bag fee. I had no problem with the 55 euro fee as I knew I needed to pay it, but the 175 was apparently because it was over the permitted 60" inches allowed for a piece of luggage.

I refused to pay, as did the other passenger (who I don't know). I asked to speak to a senior manager, and on checking again the services lady with the measuring tape said to me "oh yeah, it seems a snowboard is just an extra 55 euro for another bag, so ye're grand" where she walked off without an apology or another word to us.

At the departure gate I finally got hold of a rep from the actual airline, who seemed surprised this is happening, and quite shocked. 175 euro! is this happening to other people out there. This was 2 instances in 1 day out of 365.

I know the feeling.

Being a SCUBA diver, I was travelling to Egypt with all my own gear. Monarch Airlines who fly from Dublin to Sharm El Sheikh allow an extra 5kg free of charge if you supply a valid Diving Licence at check-in but try to tell that to the ground handling agents!!!

I had 24kg and they were trying to charge me something crazy like €120; we argued over and back and finally somebody got in contact with Monarch who confirmed that we were allowed the extra weight and the bag was allowed through.

We were met off our return flight as we stepped off the aircraft by the services company check-in lady, and an airline rep, who presented us with an airline voucher and most importantly, an apology for the inconvenience we had been caused. It always pays to query before handing over any money, and complain if necessary!