incorrect height of tree given by assistant

asdfg

bought tree in a well known large store .as i am not familar with metres etc i asked the assistant how many feet the tree would grow to she looked at the tag and said 150 cm.i again asked how many feet she took out a measureing tape and said 11 ft.as i have arthritis i had to pay to have it planted. i have saince found out the tree only grows to 5 ft.i dont know what she was thinking about .i now have to pay to have the tree removed and a new one planted.should the shop take back the tree and am i entitled to my out of pocket expenses?

I think alot will depend on the type of store you bought the tree from and the level of expertise you could reasonably expect the person to have. There is a difference in the advice you should expect to get from someone who run a garen centre to what you should expect from a shop assistancce in somewhere like aldi (they sometime get trees & plants in but you couldn't reasonably expect them to give any real advice).
I take it from your post that you bought it from somewhere like Aldi or Tesco (as you say "large store"). The height of the tree was printed on the tag and I would think you would have as much responsibility in being able to convert from metres to feet as the assistance...so I would say, at best, you may be intitled to your money back (even that would be goodwill), but I reckon you would have very little chance of having your out of pocket expenses covered. I'm saying this based on the info you provided, if there is any other info, pls post.

I do not think that you would be entiltled to anything legally as there is no problem with the product, its not faulty or broken and it is the one you purchased.
To be honest any joy you get from the store would be down to their good faith, but i certainly would explain the situtaion in a non-confrontational manner. The may accept a return and take the cost off a new one, but obviously all other costs would be out of your pocket.

As far as I recall, Ireland has been officially "metric" since early 2005, which to my mind would mean you probably have no comeback. If the labelling had been in feet and inches then perhaps you would. That said, I have usually found shops selling plants to be accommodating so they may happily swap plants for you, you've nothing to lose by asking.

Is there perhaps a neighbour who would replant for you? Perhaps you might have somewhere else to put the smaller unwanted plant, and in case it's any use to you, Lidl's specials today include large fruit plants for 5.99 - I don't know how high they will grow though! I have nothing to do with Lidl, just happened to notice their specials for today.

Back