Inconsistent toll charges for 4x4

baldyman27

Very confused and annoyed by this. Yesterday, I was leaving Fermoy, heading for Clonmel so I entered the motorway via the slip road south of Fermoy through the toll booth. I threw 2 euro into the basket and waited for the barrier to lift but it didn't and when I looked, the screen said that there was E3.80 due. I paid this and went on my way. I had gone through the toll on the main road the week previous and it had cost E1.80 or E1.90, can't remember which. This morning, I came back down from Clonmel, through the tolll booth on the main road and the charge was E1.90. Can anyone explain this? I was driving a 4x4 but this still doesn't make sense to me.

Is it a commercial or passenger vehicle?
Commercials are more expensive for the tolls but my OH has a commercial and sometimes gets away with the lower rate. We used to be able to use the self-service lane & get away with the lower rate, but they seem to have copped on to this, I think they read reg plates or something. Sometimes if you go to a booth, they will only charge you the standard rate.

Should you just get a tag for a passenger vehicle and stick it in the window. Should be the same charge each time.

I don't use the motorway often enough Frank. Just happened to use it a few times in the last few weeks which is why I noticed.

Back