Income protection for more 'dangerous' professions

colin79ie

I recently rang friends first for income protection and they told me that my profession was not covered.
Are there any companies who cover the more risky jobs. Or are there any alternatives to income protection?

There are only three companies offering standalone Income Protection at present - Friends First, Irish Life & Canada Life. The first two won't cover merchant seamen.

Canada Life should quote but they have a far stricter definition of disability than the other two. You have to be unable to carry out 3 out of 10 of their physical tests (sitting in a chair, getting up from a chair unaided etc.) or be certified blind to claim.

Liam D. Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Would you recommend any alternatives? Would a critical illness policy be as good or even adequate?

Normally I'd say that Income Protection is better than Critical Illness cover because it covers more possible causes.

In your situation, they are comparable. The Canada Life Income Protection will only cover you if you are very badly incapacitated. You can get Permanent & Total Disability cover as an add-on to many Critical Illness policies. They're not the same thing but they're not far apart either.

Other differences - Income Protection premium qualifies for full tax relief; critical illness doesn't. Critical Illness pays out a lump sum; IP pays an ongoing income.

The Income Protection probably covers you for marginally more possibilities than a Critical Illness policy with Permanent and Total Disability cover.