Income problems facing medical GPs

dewdrop

I know medical issues are not permitted but my query relates purely to money. There has been much publicity that many GPs arre facing financial problems due to Government cutbacks and a much reduced income from private patients. I wonder is this exaggerated a bit and maybe their income is now at a more acceptable level. Is there any information as to how much their income has been reduced for treating a person under the GMS scheme.

If you have time then [broken link removed] is the statute showing the reductions in 2010. "HEALTH PROFESSIONALS (REDUCTION OF PAYMENTS TO
GENERAL PRACTITIONERS) REGULATIONS 2010"

There were [broken link removed]. From the link;

The average gross income from the state per GP is €117'000. They have their income from private practice on top of that. From that gross income they have to pay staff, rent etc. A practice with 3 GP's, with one staff nurse and two receptionists
will have an average income from the state of €351'000. I'd be surprised if their wage and rent costs are over €200'000. That means their personal income would be €50'000 from the state and everything from their private practice. The average consultation fee for a private surgery visit in Ireland is €55. Assuming that half of their 5 patients an hour for four hours a day are private that gives them is €550 a day. 5 days a week that's €2'750 or €132'000 a year. Adding in the €50'000 that's €182'000 a year. I could be out by 50%, more likely higher than lower, but basically there are no poor GP's.

Edit; This article in the Irish Independent says that the average after tax income for GP's is €80'000. That's a gross income of €130'000. It's worth remembering that many GP's work part time so the average full-time net pay for GP's will be well over €100'000. A take-home income of €2'000 a week isn't something to complain about.