Income problems facing medical GPs

dewdrop

I know medical issues are not permitted but my query relates purely to money. There has been much publicity that many GPs arre facing financial problems due to Government cutbacks and a much reduced income from private patients. I wonder is this exaggerated a bit and maybe their income is now at a more acceptable level. Is there any information as to how much their income has been reduced for treating a person under the GMS scheme.

If you have time then [broken link removed] is the statute showing the reductions in 2010. "HEALTH PROFESSIONALS (REDUCTION OF PAYMENTS TO
GENERAL PRACTITIONERS) REGULATIONS 2010"

There were [broken link removed]. From the link;

General Practitioners

It has been decided to reduce GPs fees by 7.5%. Rather than an across the board cut of 7.5%, a strategic approach is being taken as follows:

Reduce the 3:1 weighting for patients over 70 years.

When the State originally provided medical cards to persons over 70 automatically, it was agreed that each 70 year old on a GPs list would count as the equivalent of 3 patients for the purposes of calculating State funding towards practice support subsidies.

The new change will require this to change to a weighting of 2:1.

Remove the special fee negotiated in 2001

When the State provided medical cards automatically to persons over 70, GPs negotiated a special payment to compensate for the loss of private patient income. In 2009 the automatic right for all persons over 70 was removed. It is now intended to remove the associated special fee paid to doctors.

Reduce the payment for the flu vaccine provided by doctors

The State pays pharmacists €15 for providing the flu vaccine. It is intended to bring the GP payment into line with pharmacists. The reduction is from €28.50 to €15.

Other fee reductions

In order to bring the overall reduction to 7.5%, the capitation and other superannuable fees will be reduced by 3.1%. There will also be some reductions in non superannuable fees.

These reductions will save an estimated €38 million in a full year.

The average gross income from the state per GP is €117'000. They have their income from private practice on top of that. From that gross income they have to pay staff, rent etc. A practice with 3 GP's, with one staff nurse and two receptionists
will have an average income from the state of €351'000. I'd be surprised if their wage and rent costs are over €200'000. That means their personal income would be €50'000 from the state and everything from their private practice. The average consultation fee for a private surgery visit in Ireland is €55. Assuming that half of their 5 patients an hour for four hours a day are private that gives them is €550 a day. 5 days a week that's €2'750 or €132'000 a year. Adding in the €50'000 that's €182'000 a year. I could be out by 50%, more likely higher than lower, but basically there are no poor GP's.

Edit; This article in the Irish Independent says that the average after tax income for GP's is €80'000. That's a gross income of €130'000. It's worth remembering that many GP's work part time so the average full-time net pay for GP's will be well over €100'000. A take-home income of €2'000 a week isn't something to complain about.

Back