Income and Expenditure Layout?

KMJ

Hi,

A friend of mine has asked me to input x amount of receipts for last year into excel. I've done that much so far, basically entered it in as follows under the categories Date/Expense/Type/Amount:

01/01/2011 ------ Taxi ------ Travel ------ €10.00

Now I've got 300 rows of data at this stage. I need to put this in some sort of Income/Expenditure proper format but not quite sure what's the 'correct' way to go about this - or the best way for somebody reading it. What should be the right way to go about this? I also have some equipment and some rentals of equipment to enter in (well, already keyed in like the example above) but once again, not exactly sure how to show this.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

KMJ, are you preparing a set of accounts for a tax return/company filing with CRO

What sort of IE format did you have in mind in order to figure out how you should be organising your data (you cant put the cart before the horse)

A simple way would be to categorise each line item as either I or E than you can simply filter for the totals I less E

This is fine for daily journal type entries but fairly complex for summation of quarterly/annual accounts. With 300 rows of info you might be as well off to invest in Quickbooks or some other accounts software. Alternatively you should categorise each entry under specific headings to facilitate a transfer to P&L?B.sheet as appropriate.

Microsoft are now giving MS Money out for free. I used it years ago and it was fine for what you are looking for.

Note: No connection, I am neither a lover (employee) or a basher of MS.

Preparing a set of accounts (for form 11S), yep. Well, doing all the prep work anyway and having it all ready for somebody more qualified to look at. But still, I'd like to have it ready as good as I can in advance.

Anyone?

Also, have some receipts with amounts on them but no date. What's normally done with these?