Incident at Pearse Street Station

MandaC

I was saddened to read of the death of the elderly priest at Pearse Street station towards the end of last week. It was particularly sad to read that nobody stopped to comfort an ill man until emergency services arrived. I make it a point to always stop to help in any way if I see somebody ill, being attacked, or an accident. I know in this day and age that you have to be very careful with whom and where you stop, but shame on anybody who stepped over a dying man alone on a station platform.

I can also say that the twice or three times I have been unfortunate to get a puncture, that I have always received help from kindly male motorists.

yes it was horrible to hear of it happen in Ireland because we do pride ourselves at being this friendly helpful country - and for the most part i do believe we are. very very sad.

My fiance and I recently assisted a few young fellas who called at our door needing help - we were pretty suspicious but tried to help without putting ourselves at risk in case they were up to no good.
The mother of one of them called the next morning with a bottle of wine thanking us because other people had shut the door on them. I can understand people being afraid but it's a pity if that fear results in genuine people not being helped.

It was particularly sad to read that nobody stopped to comfort an ill man until emergency services arrived.

I read over the weekend that Iarnrod Eireann issued a statement clarifying that 2 people had assisted the priest from the 5.50 am train and remained with 2 IE employees (one of whom was first aid trained and attended to the man) until the ambulance arrived 5 minutes after it was called.

Hopefully this is a truer version of events than the article that was originally printed.

It was covered in a number of newspapers. I read about it in the Herald. I would like to think Crunchie is correct and that somebody did actually assist.

It was covered in a number of newspapers. I read about it in the Herald. I would like to think Crunchie is correct and that somebody did actually assist.

Typical of this lot to twist the story.

two men who had assisted, one went back on his train and the other left the station, inferring that noone, except the two staff, were with the priest

The two staff in question (one of whom it would seem had first aid training) were hardly "noone". If the situation was in hand (and it seems it was) the bystanders/passengers were quite correct to continue on; having first offered what ever assistance they could.

One of the first things you are taught in any first aid/emergency situation is to find out if there is someone more qualified than yourself to handle the patient; and if there is - you hand over to them.

The last thing a sick person needs is a gaggle of bystanders.

Paper never refuses ink.....

"An elderly man died during a train journey in northern Italy, but it took staff some hours to realise he had passed away" (from today's online Indo).

Sorry Kildrought, my last sentence went awol....should have added that given the earlier slant of the Pearse St story, how accurate might this one be?!

Having stood in the scrum of an evening in Pearse Station, it's as warm as Italy if not as picturesque

Pearse Station is as (un?)picturesque as many Italian train stations that I have been in.