Inchicore Terrace North

bmclough

Hi

I have seen all the general Inchicore posts and they seem to come out generally in favour of the area with the obvious negative points about living in the inner city.

I am looking a particular property on-line which looks like the perfect place for my wife and I to move too and was wondering if anyone had any information on this particular part of inchicore. Services, safety etc.

Also for a house of this age I would assume there would be worries about hearing the neighbours flushing the toilet etc.?

Seriously thinking about a viewing but eager to learn about this part of inchicore.

Have a look

[broken link removed]

all help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Brendan

Hi, I have lived in Inchicore since 2002. Area is decent. I have not had any hassle. House you are looking at is in a great part of Inchicore. Memorial gardens are great.

Pubic transport is good. I use the buses and it is very convenient to travel by car anywhere in the country.

Good luck.

I grew up in Inchicore for most of my life and there are good and bad aspects to it which i will explain a little later to you.

That house by the way is the second one to go up for sale in about 3 months. The other if my memory serves me correctly was asking for 580 or thereabouts and had been soldly a year earlier for 520.

Benefits of living in inchicore are the

Proximity to the city centre if you work in town
Ammenities that are a short stroll in the village
Very good primary school about a 30 second walk from you(cannot remember the name, but it is on the corner as you go on to sarsfield road.)
It is an up and coming area to the extent that it is all new families not from inchicore buying the houses.

Disadvantages
Inchicore had and still does have a heroin problem
This has improved over the last few years but there are still some unsavoury people around.
High class numbers in the schools.
No where for kids to play in the area because it is so built up.

My next point is that if you want a house similar to this one and would not mind living a little further out, i would have a look around Dundrum, Ballally, Sandyford for a quieter and safer place to live.

I am not putting down inchicore at all but it is a lot of money for a house in a developing area.

If you have any other specific questions you want answered please do not hesitate to ask me and i will help you out as much as i can.

Just a minor point as the original poster and spouse are about to retire and children are not an issue..........'The Model Schools' on the corner of this terrace and built from the same stone - but didn't I read in the Irish Times recently it is shortly to be closed? That is a very high price (these are ex-CIE dwellings built for their own employees and I remember as a chisler they were being sold off for Ir£8,000........YES! that's PUNTS not euros! Whilst this particular old estate had the reputation of being quiet and settled that description could not be said to apply to many parts of its surroundings.

bmclough said:
Hi

Also for a house of this age I would assume there would be worries about hearing the neighbours flushing the toilet etc.?

I used to live in that estate nearly about 15 yrs ago so things may have changed there since. The CIE estate or "The Works" as it is known is a very quiet pieceful part of Inchicore. The fact that there is only one road in and out of the estate means that you have no traffic passing through it. If "joyriders' came in there was only one way out so it was not a problem.

As all the houses all belonged originally to CIE it meant that you didn't have a large undesireable element housed too near you. Having said that I never felt comfortable leaving the estate and walking out into Inchicore village at night. St Michaels Estate which is in Inchicore always had a serious heroin problem and all the associated trouble that come with it.

As for hearing the neighbours toilet flush, this may have been true in the past. These houses were originally built without any indoor sanitation or hot water. The bog was out in the backyard. The houses were also pre electricity. When the then landlord (CIE) installed electricity the tenants had to pay for each room in which they wanted electricity. When I moved into my house there was only electricity in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

If you do go for a viewing and you are interested in the house, it might be worthwhile to go for a stroll around the place, late at night at the weekend. The same is true for anywhere.

Murt

Folks thanks for the insights and information. You have given me a lot of food for thought.

To be honest I would be apprehensive about spending that much on a property especially as one poster in a "developing area". I need to keep looking at the options.

Apologies if we gave the impression we were retiring, far from it, just looking for somewhere closer to the city centre to reduce the commute pains of Clonsilla.

Brendan

I really do not want to put you off the house in anyway but i think it is far that you get an honest background on the area.

If you said to me i was thinking of buying a one bedroom or two bedroom for an investment, i would say great idea. You are close to James's hospital etc.

If you were buying a starter home then also i would say good investment over a five year period at 300 to 400k price tag but you are paying premium pricing for a house that because it is a little different and appealing in looks is going for the same as a nice house on the luas line in the likes of Sandyford hall etc in a nicer area.

Again if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to shoot them out, there are not many things i cannot answer as i own a property there still and it is in my interests to keep on top of it.