In dispute with a builder & now at the beginning of an Arbitration process: costs?

Lighthouse

We are currently in dispute with a builder and are now just at the beginning of an arbitration process.

An arbitrator has been appointed and it seems to be an 8 to 10 week process to get a decision.

On the basis of our information our solicitor has advised us that it seems to be a pretty clear cut case in our favour.

We have also been advised that if the arbitrator finds in our favour, that costs will be claimed against the other party ie. the only costs we will have to pay will be those of our solicitor.

The arbitrators costs will be borne by the other party (along with other expert witness costs etc). Is this true?

The last thing I want is to get to the end of this process and find out that we have to pay thousands for a report.

Re: Arbitration costs.

The arbitrator has discretion on costs.

If costs are awarded against other party, then it should include your solicitors costs.

Agree with Ravima. Costs normally "follow the event" - i.e the winning side are normally awarded their costs - but not always - and not always their full costs.

Nothing is certain in litigation or arbitration except that it costs time and money.

Thanks. I have been onto the Chartered Association of Arbitrators and they have given me the required information - they are very helpful!

Back