In credit with Bord Gais & switching

Gordon Gekko

Hi,

I’m switching from Bord Gais Energy to Energia for gas (and for electricity as it happens).

I’m in credit with BGE to the tune of around €800.

Does anyone know what happens?

e.g. do I get a refund, does the credit transfer across? I’m assuming that the money isn’t lost!

Many thanks,

Gordon

Not much point in switching if the € 800 is lost - any savings will take years to recover the lost € 800

Ring Bord Gaís - you will probably find the match the Energia offer

Not much point in switching if the € 800 is lost - any savings will take years to recover the lost € 800

Ring Bord Gaís - you will probably find the match the Energia offer

There’s no way that the €800 is lost. It’s probably closer to €950 actually. I’m just wondering what the mechanism is for getting it back, i.e. whether it’s refunded or simply transfers across?

I went through the whole online research thing looking at unit rates and standing charges across the relevant providers; I wasn’t really interested in going to Bord Gais or Electric Ireland to haggle to be honest. The saving looks to be in the region of €1,200 a year which is mad (i.e. mad I hadn’t done it sooner).

You switch, BGE will issue the last bill.

Then you need to request them to refund the credit balance to you. It's straight forward, but for some reason none of the utility companies auto refund when you terminate your contract.

Just a note - when I ended with Electric Ireland, I was in credit on Gas, but owed money on electricity. I thought naively that they'd use the credit balance, but no, they took a DD for the electric amount, and then I had to request the credit balance to be refunded.

Back