in ceiling lighting

positivenote

hi all, just wondering if its a difficult job , or an expensive job to get small 'spot' lights in a kitchen ceiling. our kitchen is farely dark and we quite like the idea of having those small spot lights scattered throughout the ceiling. any opinions would be great

Hi Positivenote
Points to consider, my presumption being you are referring to recessed lights.Is the kitchen ceiling opening into roof space, or part of an upper floor. Reason I ask this is insulation and acess. Wiring must be run under a barrier channel that separates the wiring from the insulation layer. (Also when using low voltage units 240vac to 12vdc a transformer is part of the kit. It is essential that the transformer not be covered by insulation.) The former can be difficult to install properly when routing cables from the kitchen side. Depending on the cable run, joist positioning and light positioning. Holes might have to be drilled through the joists. All this requires acess holes to be cut into the ceiling. . Requiring subsequent patching,filling and finishing so that the blanks blend into the existing ceiling.This labour translates into cost at the end of the day. Applicable only if the kithchen is part of a two story structure, or extension with a low pitch roof.
If you have acess to the cieling via the roof space then the labour is less.
Recessed lights can be really nice. But there are many beautiful ceiling light units around as lighting is a big industry. One can normally find a unit to accomodate most tastes and budgets. They are also easier to install.
Have you considered placing flourescent lighting hidden under your wall units. Not only does this light up the work areas but also creates a nice lighting effect.

Hi Ingwe,

Thanks for all the knowledgeable and helpful posts throughout the Homes and Gardens Forum. Much appreciated

Sueellen.

thanks for the info. I was thinking that we might go with placing lights beneath our kitchen units alright, and by the sound of things it might be just as good avoiding the 'spot lights' and using traditional lighting in the ceiling instead.
thanks again

Back