In car gps systems

S

smiley

i was thinking of buying a gps system (in car satellite navigation system) for my car. Can anybody offer any advice as to which hardware system to use (tom tom, navman etc) and which mapping system is the best for ireland. Is there a decent mapping system for ireland available.ie...one which will cover backroads and places other than cities and major towns in ireland??

thanks

I have used Dell GPS on an axim x30 (I think)

It is a working PDA but also you get a wireless bluetooth GPS antenna that you leave on the dashboard
The two connect when entering the car

It is tremendous around Dublin, voice notification of turns ahead and re-routing as you go along, ie miss a turn and it recalculates the route

Not too great once you leave the Dublin area
Is does not even show Drogheda town centre

Not sure if Ireland is not fully mapped for GPS or it was the Dell mapping software

Big fan for Dublin area or finding routes to other parts of the country and don't need for much else, therefore no compaints

Stuart

I bought a handheld from [broken link removed] in the states, 1/2 price of that in eire. not sure bout hardware recommendations but make sure you can buy cd's / software of maps for city your interested in.
I purchased a garmin etrex btw.