Improvements to house prior to selling

mickeyg

My house has been on the market for a few months without much success - albeit it has not been the best time for selling property.
It was built about 20 years ago and is somewhat dated in terms of decor. I have recently had a leak and had to take up the carpets downstairs to find the source.
I am thinking of using the house insurance money to replace the downstairs carpet with wooden floors in order to make the property more marketable. If so, what type of wooden floors would I get the "best bang for the buck" for or is it worthwhile for me to go for wooden floors at all?
Would be interested in people's suggestions/comments

m

Sounds like a lot of effort and money and the prospective purchase may not like timber floors anyway. Why not spend the money like this:

1. Repaint all rooms in a neutral shade

2. Have the existing carpets and soft furnishings professionally shampood/ steam cleaned- it's quite inexpensive to have carpets cleaned in this way I believe. This will freshen up the whole house and get rid of odours.

3. Have any obvious faulty/ broken/ missing items repaired/ replaced. For example replace that broken door handle/ dirty lampshade/ blown bulbs/ dripping taps/ broken glass etc. Small irritants like this can give the impression of a house that was badly cared for.

4. Give the outside a good going over- clean windows and gutters. Tidy up the garden, get rid of last summer's dead flower pots etc.

Ask a friend to give the place a look-over: they might spot a glaring omission/ fault that could put off a potential buyer.

I'd agree. Don't carry out expensive/extensive renovations with a view to increasing the property value for an imminent sale. Just deal with the issues that Carpenter lists and keep your money for fitting out your new dream home.

I'd be an avid watcher of house selling programs and the main tips seems to be
a) neutral colours, no patterned wallpaper if possible
b) a bed in every bedroom and a double if it can fit properly
c) no clutter, pack away personal items if they over power a room
d) no animal smells and no cats having the run of the house
e) a table in the kitchen if there is room
f) if possible have a fire burning for viewings
g) tidy garden and tiday neighbours garden
h) do minor repairs, no doors sticking, faulty handles, broken cupboard doors or cracks in ceilings
i) make sure any good local amenities nearby are highlighted
j) clean bathrooms and ensuites, new taps, showerheads if necessary
k) make the most of your storage space (make sure there is storage space) don't have your wardrobes crammed with clothes as it looks like there isn't enough space.
l) no stained or dodgy looking carpet around toilet bowls (these must also be spotless)
m) nice smell in the house, apparently coffee/fresh bread smell in the kitchen isn't a myth
n) if the back garden can be seen from the kitchen don't have it obscured by anything
o) no dirty clothes waiting to be washed in utility room or kitchen, and no clothes hanging on the line

There are many many more things that can be done but these are the ones that don't cost any money, only look at spending money if your house hasn't sold within a reasonable time period and all the other boxes are ticked. Thats when you start laying new floors, replacing bathroom suites etc.

Hi,

These tips on [broken link removed] from www.myhome.ie seem good.

Whilst I would agree with Carpenter/Clubman that there is no point in wasting money unnecessarily if you have removed the carpet and its grotty IMHO cheap/cheerful laminate would probably make the downstairs a lot more appealing. Maybe this is purely a woman's point of view :D

You can get very serviceable and cheap carpet nowadays and this would be a winner over a cheap and bland laminate floor any day.

If you're going to claim from your Insurance to repair or replace, I would definitely put down a new cheap carpet or laminate flooring. I bought a house that was for sale for ages and the owners put laminate flooring in the 5 bedrooms and I'm thrilled with them as I know they're new and most importantly clean. My house also had a lot of garish colours throughtout which I was able to look through but it did put me off the first time I viewed. Needless to say I've painted every single room myself since but I would definitely suggest you paint even just magnolia throughtout the house. The house next door to me is for sale, god it isn't you is it?? :eek: Anyway I looked at that when I was I looking at the one I subsequently bought and it was absolute vile in decor terms. The lad has recently redeocorated and the difference is phenominal. It is basically painted magnolia throughtout and all the disguisting carpets were ripped up and replaced with a cheap carpet that is the same colour throughtout the house. The house is so much brighter and inviting now.

Have you ever watched House Doctor? It's a programme to do with houses that aren't selling and she comes in and tells them why and redecorates. She isn't exactly my cup of tea but you can pick up a lot of tips.

Best of luck :)

I would remove the majority of personal photos so that when people come and view your house they can visualise themselves living there and not be constantly making reference to it as your family home in their heads.

Thanks, for all the tips/help. Auctioneer has suggested that I pump about €10k. into re-decorating, wooden floors etc. as potential purchasers are being put off by the amount of work they see needs to be done.

m

That's what turned me off buying the house next door to me, the fact that it needed new windows, a new bathroom and a complete overhaul decor-wise. Just remember that not everyone will have your taste so don't pump too much money in to things you like, you're selling the house so have it as neutral as possible. Once the windows and plumbing are okay, it's just down to de-cluttering and dressing it.

Back