Impractical Halifax Visa Credit Limit

C

c02

I have two cards: MBNA platinum with 5k limit and Halifax Visa with just 1k.
I wanted to ditch the MBNA card and transfer a small balance (~900) to Halifax. Do achieve this I asked Halifax to double my 1k limit and they refused! Not only that, but they said don't bother ringing back for another SIX months!

I'm 30, I take home >3k per month (straight into a Halifax current a/c), and have built up an excellent credit history from a term loan with BOI (repayments of 380 p/month).

Even though I would prefer to use the Halifax card, their impractically low limit makes it impossible to use for work travel, flights, holidays etc.

I was genuinely shocked they would refuse me a 2k limit, and they won't say why? My best guess is that my use of their card has been very light -- too light for them to judge my credit worthiness?

Thats strange, did you ask them for a proper reason? I would certainly want to know why they refused you, since you say your Credit Rating is so good.

Have you checked your Credit Rating yourself lately?

@Smashbox

The response I got was pretty much "computer says no", no more info available to her etc. When I pointed out my Halifax current a/c, I was told the systems were separate.

I read a copy of my credit report about 3 years ago before I applied for a term loan (to consolidate postgrad student loans). It was fine back then and I've 3 years of regular payments since. My MBNA direct debit lapsed for about 2 months during my current a/c switching, but that's my only credit blip I'm aware of....

That is very strange.. You are better off dealing with the branch manager for this.
We are in the process of switching to Halifax at the moment. I explained to the manager what I was planning to do , including transferring my wifes MBNA card with €7000 odd balance. Before I left he was able to tell me the Halifax CC would arrive with €8000 limit.

My gf had the same problem. She wanted to move from an AIB card with a 2.5k limit to Halifax but the highest they would give her was 1k. They did tell her that if she posted a cc statement from another bank and they would match the limit printed on it. They do seem to be very tight but it's worth a try.

Halifax CC's limits are auto scored, in the the system generates a max limit,submit your most recent MBNA statement and request a credit limit match

Halifax CC's limits are auto scored, in the the system generates a max limit,submit your most recent MBNA statement and request a credit limit match

If you a transferring a balance then this seems logical

When I switched my AIB/EBS credit card to Halifax (with a limit on the card of over 9k if I remember), the most that Halifax would give was 8k with a review if I wanted it after 6 months.

I have to say in the dealing I have had with them so far I have found them very transperant & very approachable.
Surly if you are offering to transfer a CC they limit they give has to be enough to facilitate that.
I think the thing here is to let them know your intentions when applying for the CC.
Do not apply online or via post. Call into a branch & discuss with the manager. Thats what I did & there was no problems. We opened new bank account to facilitate switch from Permanant TSB. I already have Halifax card with €6800 limit , They opened new credit card for wife with €8000 limit for wife to tranfer balance from MBNA. When swithching bank account they also give free €1500 overdraft to cover time during switching all DDs.