Importing Tiles from Spain/Italy.

serotoninsid

Has anyone brought in their own tiles (they all seem to be spanish or italian)? If so, how much of a saving did you make? I went on a provisional shop for floor tiles yesterday and only came accross one tile that i liked - but with a hefty price tag of €66/m2 (cerdomus pietra d'assisi rosso).

As the next best option to going direct, I priced the tile I was interested in - in the North - and its coming in over 1/3 cheaper in comparison with the Tubs n Tiles price! Thats on the exact same tile.

An old story. Prices need to be challenged!

I thought about this last year, briefly. Major consideration is weight. You can only fit so many boxes of tiles into a car and this is less than you would think. A transit would probably be needed to make the trip pay, even if I thought breaking even was realistic I would have done it, remember also you are likely to use more fuel than you think when the van is fully laden.

Tubs 'n Tiles were actually very good realtive to others. The sticker price for the tiles in my kitchen was €48m2 x 22m2 required plus adhesive to bond to wood subfloors which is the dearest adhesive you can buy of the type at €42 a bag x 5, grout to finish was 25kgs at €80. This comes to approx €1300 but I got discount without asking and was quoted €980, effectively throwing the adhesive and grout in for free. The sticker price and the quote might be very different if you ask.

owenm said:
I thought about this last year, briefly. Major consideration is weight. You can only fit so many boxes of tiles into a car and this is less than you would think. A transit would probably be needed to make the trip pay, even if I thought breaking even was realistic I would have done it, remember also you are likely to use more fuel than you think when the van is fully laden.

Tubs 'n Tiles were actually very good realtive to others. The sticker price for the tiles in my kitchen was €48m2 x 22m2 required plus adhesive to bond to wood subfloors which is the dearest adhesive you can buy of the type at €42 a bag x 5, grout to finish was 25kgs at €80. This comes to approx €1300 but I got discount without asking and was quoted €980, effectively throwing the adhesive and grout in for free. The sticker price and the quote might be very different if you ask.

Also found Tub & Tiles very good to deal with, sales lady gave us a E120 discount on our bathroom wall and floor tiles because we were first time buyers and as she put it "it will help ye get something else started" very nice I thought just one thing to watch out for when tiles are delivered check all contents when driver arrives as 3 boxes of my delivery were broken I held back some money until I got the 3 boxes replaced but they also had no problem with this.

Good Luck ;)

Did some shopping online and sourced the exact same tile in Belfast. I saved myself over €500 - after the expense of driving down there with a car trailer.
Service was excellent and even though there was a breakdown in communication (they thought i was just coming down to look and not to collect!) a van dispatched off somewhere to get my tiles - they would normally need 3 days to order in.
By contrast, Tubs n Tiles were not even prepared to order in the particular size of tile i was looking for. It wasnt until after I had done the run to the north that I got a call to say they would get them in (it would take 6 weeks).

Guess where I will be sourcing my wall tiles? :D

Is there any good tile shops around New Ross, Waterford area - I heard bad reports about tubs n tiles and would like to look elsewhere.

Back