Importing then exporting motorcycle

ATC110

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a used BMW K1300R from the UK but believe they're not a particularly good seller (for when I decide to sell it)

Is it possible to export a bike from Ireland to UK & re-register it? Has anyone done this?

Any advice appreciated and comments on bike welcome

I take your point but I really like the K1300R!

I would more than likely straight-sell it in the future and perhaps get another bike in a few years time. With this in mind, could you suggest the best way of buying this model ?

+1 to what Time said. It's a lovely bike, but yes, it probably will be harder to sell in Ireland. Then again, presumably the UK price you're buying at, even after the added costs, is a good saving on what you'd pay over here, if you could find one.

I can't see a cheaper way than bringing one in from the UK, tbh. Have you a particular bike lined up?

The DVLA have a process for this:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_071777.pdf

Vehicle previously registered in the United Kingdom? If this applies to your vehicle please contact the DVLA to see if they will require you to come via VCA for approval.
Suggest that you keep a good copy of the V5 (not easy to photocopy) for re-registration. Be aware that a vehicle going through this process may be subject to individual scrutiny, so beware of any non-standard mods (exhaust, lighting accessories, etc.).

The process over here is straightforward enough. Just go to your local Revenue office and dump the contents of your wallet on the counter! The VRT formula IIRC is €x per cc of engine capacity, with a sliding scale reduction for every year that the bike has aged.

Bike Sourcing

Does anyone know of such a service in the UK? Thanks in advance

Back