Importing Small Quantities of Wine (Non-EU)

oblib

I am beginning to look into the feasibility of importing a small quantity (2000 bottles/approx. 2 pallets) initially.

I know this is really in the eye of the beholder but are people who are more familiar with customs, VAT and licence fees put off by this? Does it simply not make sense to operate in the quanities mentioned above. Just for the record I would be looking at a wine from California (USA).

Thanks~

If it's a once off why not approach an established importer and say that you can put the deal their way of X% of the margin?

It is wine that I haven't seen in Ireland although know is quite popular in the US. I had dreamed of 'capturing' the market on this but maybe I should go the way your suggesting and at least then I'll be able to buy the wine myself someday!

As a general rule it's it very hard to enter any sector as a business that you have no experience of working in as an employee, so if you spent time working for O'Brien's or Finlaters etc then you know what to do but even if you are experienced at importing other goods I would still be very cautious about doing what you suggest.
Do you have access to a distribution network?
Have you approached either a supermarket buyer or a high end off-licence such as Redmond's in Ranalagh to see if they will carry you stock?
Is it high end or low end (commodity) wine? for your purposes low end is anything that will retail for under €30 a bottle and as a small importer you really need to import high end wine from a small vineyard, i.e. €100 + a bottle from a producer who it too small to attract a large importer. This sort of thing is common in France but no so common in California.
Also remember that wine doesn't like being moved so it's not cheap to transport properly.
Even if you have, as a new customer of the supplier in the US you will have to pay for goods up front that you mightn't sell for 6 months or a year. Therefore you will require a bigger mark up than an established importer/ distributor who has his channels set up.

Sorry to sound so negative but no business is simple and in a well established sector the margins will not be high so good supply channels and the ability to get a fast return on investment in order to free up capital and minimise short term borrowings can make all the difference.

Thanks for that Purple...I think I may be in over my head here and will go back to drawing board. Besides the overall flaws in my business model I don't think I have enough capital to deal with the pipeline you described.

Cheers!

Don't just walk away from it, do some more homework so that even if this doesn't work out you will be better placed if you see another opportunity.

Back