Importing Prius from the UK

Murt10

Cargiant has been mentioned on this board before. Most people that used them seemed to think they were a relatively good source of quality, usually low mileage, one owner cars.

Here's a 2005 (54) Toyota Prius 1.5 T3 Hybrid 5 Dr Hatch with 78,500 miles. According to the site the car costs £7,699 Stg = E9,785. This is before you start bargaining as a cash buyer.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Prius/details.asp?Id=380592

According to ROS.ie the VRT on a Jan 2005 Toyota Prius 1.5 T3 Hybrid 5 Dr Hatch with 78,500 miles is = €2290. According to the same site the OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE for the car here is €18320

Allow E500 for travel to the UK and return by ferry

+2,290
-----

18,320 - 12,575 = 5,745.

If something looks too good to be true, it usually is! It can't be that simple to save the guts of E6k, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

What am I missing?

Murt

maybe revenue haven't caught up on the value to be got from sterling yet. a few months ago £8k would equal €12/13k.
go for it before they cop on!

why not buy a more economical 1.4 or 1.6 diesel? I would only consider it if I was doing a lot of town and city driving.

Have between 13 and 15 thousand euros to spend on a car. Can you tell me what is the process of going through cargiant and importing a car. I'm very interested in this thanks.

If something looks too good to be true, it usually is! It can't be that simple to save the guts of E6k, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

What am I missing?

That's just it - plenty of people ARE doing it (done it myself a few times now). Saving that much percentage-wise is unusual, but not unheard of: weak sterling has made importing a lot more attractive, though.

The downsides are:

- trouble needed to actually get the car (sourcing one to buy is if anything easier than here, due to the Internet and the huge choice in the UK)
- no trade-in: probably the biggest issue with most people
- effectively no warrenty, if outside original manufacturer's warrenty

Given the upsides (cost saving, huge choice, better cars) I think it's surprising more people don't do it.

Cargiant are one of many garages you can buy from. they dont allow you to do independent tests on the vehicle though which is important to do.

You can also pay in by bringing a draft or pay in euro but the exchange rate will see you losing approx 200 euro just as with the banks. call round the banks and contact xe and currency.ie and find out the cheapest way to get sterling paid

Prius is one of the better cars for savings due to the 50% VRT rebate.

Note - no haggling at Car Giant and also £91 paperwork fee