Importing Irish Car from UK

dmac

I have just bought a car from the UK and on the AA report it had said it was imported and everything checked out so i went over cheked it out and bought it. It turns out that it was imported from Ireland, i'm not sure if it was registered here first and then brought over. I know i will have to pay the VRT on it if it wasn't originally registered here but will i have to pay it if it was bought new here and registered here before being brought over to the UK.
Also how do i find out will the DVLA tell me it had an irish registration before they changed it.
On the V5 form there is only the 2 previous owners names and addresses.

It was probably exported new from here day 1 and not registered here at all.

Did you get a HPI check done?

Yea i checked it out with the AA, they had said it was imported but not from where, The car was bought in a Volkswagon dealership on the Navan road the owner has an Irish name. Could he have bought the car and then got moved with work and decided to bring the car with him I contacted the DVLA this morning and they don't keep information on whether it was previously registered.
Also it just happened that the owner imported it to a small town in south England in which my company has a factory, he then sold it to a woman in a small town in the north of England in which we also have a company.
Its very co incidental so i'm looking into it if these people actually work for the same company as me.
By the way I bought it from a dealership in Blackburn.

This may be a shot in the dark but try the Department of Environment in Shannon - see if they can check from the chassis no. I'm not sure if they will give you any info. Got these details on their site
(PHONE: 061-365000 or Lo-Call 1890-411412)
EMAIL- motortax@environ.ie:

It could been registered here on temporary zz plates driven for a weekend and then imported to the uk.There's some requirement in uk law for the car to be imported from another eu state.I can't remember how it works at the moment but I'm sure the DVLA will explain it to you.

Back