Importing Goods - Dublin Port - Step by step

DublinTeach

If I am importing goods from New Zealand to sell here and I arrange with the company in New Zealand for them to ship and insure the container of goods to dublin port exactly what happens?

I pay the New Zealand company for the cost of the goods + the shipping cost (freight) + insurance.

The ship arrives in Dublin Port and then what happens?

---------

I assume the workers in the port will unload the container from the ship and bring it to a storage area at which point they will alert me that they have my container - who will contact me and how long would I expect this process to take?

I will then have to pay customs/import duty + VAT on the import.... at what point do I pay this and who do I pay it to? Someone at the port or do I have to go on to the Revenue website?

Will there be Dublin Port fees? How are they calculated and when and how do I pay them?

I assume then I will have to hire a lorry to go into the port and collect my goods which I assume are still in a 20FT metal container. Can I remove the goods from the metal container in the storage area and load them into my lorry? Do I have any responsibility for the actual container at this point?

---

Thank you for any help you can give me. I can't make head nor tail of the taric database - I found the code 9403 6090 for furniture that is to be used in a bedroom but I can't figure out what the import/customs rate is to be charged on the full value of the invoice from the New Zealand company.

Hi, we are currently doing the same as you have posted above, can you advise what the procedure was after?

Simply get a freight agent / handling company to do the clearance and arrange delivery.

They will track the container, do customs clearance and have it delivered to you.

Vat, duty, agent fees and release fees are all paid immediately.

Simply get a freight agent / handling company to do the clearance and arrange delivery.

They will track the container, do customs clearance and have it delivered to you.

Vat, duty, agent fees and release fees are all paid immediately.
Yes, that's the way to go. Shipping companies such as Expeditors will act as you agent as well as organising the shipping.

Back