Importing car from UK-VRT

S

shane22

Hi
I some questions for anybody that can help-

I'm currently living in London and just bought a car 2 weeks ago. I plan on returning home to Ireland in a few weeks time and wish to bring my car home with me. I want to know do I have to pay the full VRT even though im resident here for the last 11.5 months (will be here 1 year total)?

I am here for a year doing a postgrad- does that make a difference? do the tax office people need to know/do they find out i am a student?

Also, the car is not taxed here as it is just parked up in a private estate (although i have it fully ensured with an irish insurance company). If I was to tax it here, could I drive it at home in ireland legally?if so for how long?

Basically, I'd prefer not to pay the VRT if possible!!(as we all would!!))
what documents need to be presented when importinng the car? i have utility bills bank accounts etc!!

Thanks in advance for any help
Shane

Short answer:
Yes you'll have to pay the VRT as you will have not owned the car for 6 months before entering/returning to Ireland.

Check the revenue.ie site, they have more comprehensive info than citizensinformation.ie. And also check recent previous threads on this site for people coming/returning to Ireland and trying to bring a car with them.

Yeah, I think you would have to have a lot of documentation etc to back up the fact you were living over there on a permanent basis. Bank account statements, utility bills etc.

They have seen every workaround at this stage and are making it very difficult to do what you are suggesting...I acually pity the lifeime UK resident who wants to do this...way to much hassle for them

Back