Importing appliances from France

L

lucide

I am planning to import an oven and hob from France together with rest of my furniture but I wonder if there will be any problems to change the plugs to the Irish ones? Can I get an electrician to change the plugs?
Thanks for your advise,
Lucide

You don't need an electrician to change a plug! This is one of the most basic of DIY tasks.
Leo

Can I get an electrician to change the plugs?

Of course you can, if you don't have the know-how, sure - get an electrician. There are so many people out there who don't know how to change plugs so you are not alone.

You should make sure the voltage of the appliances is compatable with Irish electricity supply.

If it's designed for French market, it will be compatable (both 230V, 50Hz).

It's probably best to get an electrician to do it for something like an oven/hob, as it'll have to be wired directly into a switched socket rather than plugged in. Any electrician will do this, though it's a very small job for them.

You don't need an electrician to change a plug! This is one of the most basic of DIY tasks.
Leo

The Hob should be wired directly in. Chances are the oven does not draw as much power (2-3kw) so could be just pluged in.

BTW, both should work here.

Towger

Of course you can, if you don't have the know-how, sure - get an electrician. There are so many people out there who don't know how to change plugs so you are not alone.
Alternatively take some time to [broken link removed] and save yourself some money.

Alternatively take some time to [broken link removed] and save yourself some money.

I'd agree it's best to learn and be able to wire and check a regular plug.

However, as already pointed out, for hobs and/or ovens it may be required to wire directly into a switched socket. This is not difficult, but you're now playing with potentially live supplies, with possibly no colour coding on the supply wires. Best left to an electrician, I'd say.

This response is directed more towards the title of the thread rather than the query! but just in case you haven’t looked into it, check that any warranty supplied with the goods will be valid in Ireland. Friends of mine bought a large stove in Northern Ireland and had problems with it. When they tried to exercise the warranty, the company’s office in the Republic would not entertain them. They had difficulty getting someone from Northern Ireland to come down to them as well so they had a lot of bother trying to resolve the issues. You may never need the warranty but just in case!

Mods, please delete this post if not relevant or useful.

Last edited:
I don't recommend you buy any electrical goods from abroad for use in Ireland unless they are off the very small variety (hairdryers, mixers etc). For sure I know Irish TV's don't work on the continent from Ireland but it's not to do with the electrics it may be the same care for the fitted in applicances as they may have different specifications to IRL/UK and you can't tell this at the beginning. Plus Irish electrician may not be able to wire it up. Also as previous poster said, if anything goes wrong it would be a nightmare trying to get the warranty. What you save on cost you will only pay for in tears and frustration.

Last edited:
There will be absolutely no problem getting these appliances to work. Absolutely the same voltage and frequency in Ireland as France.

The problem with TVs is completely different. It is to do with the signal transmission system which is PAL in Ireland UK and most of Europe whilst the french use their own system called SECAM.

As previous posters state they should be directly wired to a 30 Amp supply as a socket is only good for 13 Amps.

If you have a 30 Amp cooker switch installed it is a very simple job. 3 wires live, neutral and earth to 3 terminals at the switch.

The Hob should be wired directly in. Chances are the oven does not draw as much power (2-3kw) so could be just pluged in.

Both oven and hob should be hard wired to a seperate fused spur.

Agreed, 13A isn't enough for a cooker circuit. Cooker switch and all cabling should be in place for this to be a DIY job. If not, get a pro in.
Leo