importing a classic car

Ron Burgundy

i am thinking of setting another business in the wedding car area, if i bring in 2 or 3 60's cars will i have to pay VRT on them even when they are classed as classic vechiles ???

we brought in a classic and still had to pay 315 euro VRT.i think once the cars are over a certain age you just pay the 315 euro minimum..

The car has to be over 30 years old to qualify. If your choosen vehicle is around the 30 year mark, make sure you get the original registration cert of the car as proof. I don't think they accept the date of manufacture.

Hey Ron, I thought about this some time ago but I believe there is very high insurance costs on these vehicles which is very prohibitive. Does anyone else know?

check ebay.co.uk they usually have a good few classics on there plus you will get an idea of prices if you watch it over a few weeks ... u may get lucky

There is a flat rate of 50euro for VRT on any car (classic or otherwise) that is 30 years old.

Road tax is also 42euro - irrespective of engine size.

For running a business using classics, you will need some DOE test on the garage to ensure its roadworthness - similar to taxis, buses etc.

check out the classics section of boards.ie for lots more help

Hi guys,

Are the rules for im[orting a classic car affected in any way by the new VRT legislation coming in ?

Thanks,

Niall.

You'll pay a flat fee of €50. Although if you bring one in from the EU you may have to pay import tax at point of entry.

I guess you meant "in from outside the EU".

VAT is payable if coming from outside EU + customs duty of about 10% afaik.

Hi,
I'm thinking of bringing in a 1970 VW bus from South Africa. A woman in customs told me that the bus may not have to pay any point of entry duties as it would be classified as an antique, providing it hasn't been modified from its original state. But she wasn't completely sure. Anyone know for sure?