Importing a car from NZ. ? no vrt/taxes if away >6 months

nbc

Hi there,
I may be going to New Zealand for 3 months in Jan and then Australia for a further 3 months. Well someone has to do it lads!
Anyway cars are much cheaper in NZ. I have 2 questions;
1) Does anyone have a notion how much it would cost to ship a car from NZ?
2) I have been told by a friend that if I am out of Ireland for more than 6 months I don't pay any VRT or other taxes at all on my car(prob will be second hand)
Grateful for any replies.
nbc

Regardless of the duckin and divin...you have to register your car for irish plates if you are living here. Its as simple as that.

Would it not be unfair for others who get a good deal in England etc to bring back a car and have to pay VRT whilst you get away with not paying?
Sure you might get a good deal from NZ but to transport it to Eire and most likely have to wait 3 months to get here and from customs inspections etc.
Dont think it would be worth the hasstle considering it would probably depreciate more that any other car considering its unfamiliarity with potential car buyers when you decide to offload it.

The revenue have every avenue covered and unless you can come up with a rather feeble attempt of a road worthy driver from Latvia or of the likes who seem to drive like circus freaks and get away with VRT, no tax/insurance bad driving etc, forget it.

If you live in NZ and own a car for 6 or 7 months and can prove all this to revenue then go for it.

This notion of why should you get away with is not a problem the option is there.

The question should be why are the irish motorists being nailed at every turn.

Are cars cheap in NZ?
How much is shipping?
How long will shipping take?

Make sure you bring home something above 1.9 liters to make the most of it. A BMW 735 D maybe.

We were in Australia and NZ last month and were shocked at how reasonable cars were. OH was seriously considering importing a passenger jeep - he even considered importing a few! Even after paying the VRT, the savings were still huge! ie

BMW X5 3.0d in Australia AU$84,200 (€51,109) (€1=AU$1.64) Plus VRT
BMW X5 3.0d in Ireland €74,750

Problem he encountered very quickly was shipping! none of the shipping co's he contacted were interested in a once-off shipment.

Savings on a Toyota are even better.

Hi
With regard to an earlier comment, I am not trying to do anything underhand. I am simply going to be living out of Ireland for 6 months and was told that I can import a car here without paying loads of taxes.If this is legal why not for goodness sake?
Anyway I rang revenue and after being transferrred 6 times I got onto customs who told me I would have to pay import duty of ?10%. I've forgotten already as she told me I would have to pay vat and vrt. You can imagine how I was rapodly losing interest. Anyway she seemed to think I had to be gone for 12 months in order not to pay vrt. Being honest I don't think there is one person in any dept who can really answer all my questions. It's like there is no co-ordination between departments. Is there anyone out there who has imported a car?
thanks
nbc

you could always drive it back.... now that would be an experience.... and a good test for your new wheels!

Hey nbc, i was looking into doing this myself. did you ever have any luck with it?

You will pay vat as you are bringing it on from outside europe. You wont pay vrt. It will cost a couple of thousand dollars to bring it back. Let me know car details and i'll get a quote for you. I know someone in oz doing this kind of thing

Shipping costs a real turn off

If you are into this sort of thing check out Malta !

Shipping costs a real turn off

If you are into this sort of thing check out Malta !

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, I'd pity anyone who went to live in Malta for 6 months just so they could avoid VRT on bringing their car back!
The place is a fu***ng hole! It's like Tower Hamlets with sun and sea!