Import duties on goods ordered and paid for before 11pm 31 December 2020?

pepper22

We ordered and paid for car parts before 11pm (This is written on the invoice) on 31st Dec 2020. They were made in the UK but cost 255 sterling (over the 150 euro). They were dispatched to us and we received them on 6th of Jan 2021. We paid 75 euro extra in total to the courier (duties, VAT and admin charges). We just want to know if this was correct as the goods were ordered and paid for on 31 Dec 2020? We had a look at Revenue.ie but find it difficult to negotiate.

I wonder what will happen if you refuse to pay the additional tax and charges, when they are delivered?

- Will the goods automatically be returned to the sender, and you get refunded the purchase price?

Is it sufficient grounds to cancel the order and insist on a full refund? ... It's unlikely that the retailer agreed to the sale, conditional on delivery before close 31-12-2020.

Heard consumer person on tv yday, doesn't matter if you paid before 31/12, it's when they turn up here in Ireland that matters.

Also said you can return and reclaim anything you have been charged.

Duties apply on-entry, so order date is immaterial.

I'd be slow to refuse delivery, since Jan 1st, EU distance selling protections no longer apply to UK businesses, so you no longer have the cooling-off period or right to return.

Its seems like ireland is going to be worse off than the uk over brexit. What a mess!!

The 2 countries are so interconnected with trade that this is not going to go well at all.

Well if it's the date of import, that's the end of that. Thanks for the reply. This is a once off purchase then!

Duties apply on-entry, so order date is immaterial.

I'd be slow to refuse delivery, since Jan 1st, EU distance selling protections no longer apply to UK businesses, so you no longer have the cooling-off period or right to return.
Can you issue a charge back if you do not receive the goods.

Back