Immersion switch melting

Madra

I have had to replace the immersion switch 3 times in the last year as it seems to overheat and eventually melt the relay part of the switch. I know a bad contact can cause this overheating but it has happened 3 times now so I dont think that was the cause (The switch was replaced bu a plumber twice). I'm now gonna replace the actual element to see if that improves it. Anyone come across this and find the solution ? My gut feeling tells me its an electrician I should be consulting rather than a plumber.

Go with your gut feeling, this is potentially a fire waiting to happen! An electrician would be better placed to test the existing circuit and determine what may be at fault. To ignore the warning signs would be very foolhardy.....

Your gut feeling is right, you should have gone to an electrician first time.

Its the switch, the actual dual one with On/Off and Bath/Sink. Just to re-iterate its the actual flip of the switch that breaks but no sign of spark or no obvious major heat coming from the switch box itself. The cable is a thick one so I just feel it may be drawing too much current due to a faulty immersion element. Hence, the change. I did notice that there was a humming sound when the bath switch was on which is unusual in the sense that you generally have to put a screwdriver to the hotpress to get the humming sound for checking that ots actually on.

Get a sparks on the case ASAP. Should be at least marginally cheaper than having the house burn down!

Hi Madra
I am a sparks and really you should can your sparks to check it out. local heating behind a switch like that is most likely a loose connection but your sparks will be able to check how many amps are actually flowing through the switch and that the switch is rated to carry the load. also if it was wired wrong in the first place your plumber is unlikely to have corrected a fault.