Immersion seems to be not working. Fix or replace

DelBoy72

The imersion on my boiler doesnt seem to work. It could be as simple as a fuse - I need to investigate.

But if it comes to it, are the elements easy to replace?
If so, what sort of costs would one be looking at?

I am no plumber, but I believe it is like a tennis racket & a badminton racket that would heat for bath & sink respectively, but not sure if it is possible to open up the boiler to replace these.

So if its a replacement boiler I need, same question - how much?

Further details - Its a large boiler, 4ft high, and probably as much in circumferance.
Oil is the fuel used for the water & c/heating

Thanks!

Is it an immersion heater in a hot water cylinder?
If it is, and it enters the cylinder at the top, it should be relatively simple to replace. Check out the Collins DIY manual for instructions.

I would be very surprised if there is an immersion heater in your boiler but I must stress that I'm not a plumber and live in England where we might have different systems than you do in Ireland.

I've just had a look in Collins and you need to turn off the power (by removing the fuse that is on the immersion heater circuit,turn off the water at the stop tap, drain down the system and remove the existing immersion heater.

Replace with a new one, wiring up as shown in Collins.

I must re-emphasise that I'm not a plumber or electrician so you really need the book in front of you and the appropriate tools.

One further comment is that if it is the fuse that has blown it probably means that the heater needs to be changed.

Good luck.

There were 11 qualified electricians killed in england and ireland last year,these were qualified,get the drift,pay for the pro its far cheaper than a funeral.

It would seem that the Imersion heater that is screwed into the top of your hot water cylinder is not working.

It may be a faulty thermostat or if fairly recent model a triped Hi-limit stat.

If the indication light on the sink/bath selection switch is not working then it may be a trip or fuse on main dist board If there is an immersion time clock the contacts on it may not be making.

In any event as previous poster sort of suggested why not call a competent plumber.

I would not advise DIY

Changing an immersion is no joke, there is a chance the cylinder may get damaged e.g small tears and splits. because immersions don't get changed too often they tend to become part of the cylinder and hence very hard to unscrew. you need someone with experiance to do it. Immersions are around 35 euro, would expect to pay pro 120-150 euro.