immersion in bathroom

S

spikey

we were thinking of buying a house,i had a look around one we were interested in and i noticed the immersion heater was in the bathroom downstairs,it looks awful close to the bath,about 3 feet away,would i have to get this moved if i was to buy this house.

Do you have to get it moved? I don't think anyone is going to force you but I think you should, it's definitley against regulations to have something using 220 volts that close to a bath or shower.

You should use it as leverage when negotiating the price, and in this buyers market I think any leverage will get you far.

Two things to consider, If you move it where can it go and is the tank very old? Will it survive a move, they cost I think about €800. It could easliy cost you another €1200 labour and other bits and pieces to get the job done.

i think it should be moved it looks awful and i dont think it would be safe electrically to leave it there,do the regs allow for an immersion heater in a bathroom.

Before we changed our heating system to a combi boiler we had a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard (hot press) in the bathroom.

Could you not build a cupboard in the bathroom to contain the immersion heatr for a lot less than the euro2000 that owenm is suggesting?
(I should point out that I have no idea about the regs in Ireland.)

I think a hot press that opens into the bathroom is considered part of the bathroom zone.

Regs or not I'd stay away and find another house, for whoever would even think of putting an immersion in a steamed room,(a death trap) what other stupid things has been done in the house There is probable a plug in there as well,

As I noted in my comment we had an immersion heater inside an airing cupboard in our bathroom for years. This is a common arrangement here in UK.
I would ask again:

Are there regulations against having such an arrangement in Ireland?

Regs or not I'd stay away and find another house, for whoever would even think of putting an immersion in a steamed room,(a death trap) what other stupid things has been done in the house There is probable a plug in there as well,

I know of many standard house designs that have the immersion tank in the bathroom. My own house has this, as does the few hundred other houses in the estate as they're all pretty much the same. It is in a cupboard and there is no danger because of it at all.