Immediate charge versus file to DPP?

ClubMan

Just curious - at a high level/in general terms what is the difference between a situation in which somebody is arrested, questioned and charged immediately and one in which they are arrested, questioned, released and a file sent to the DPP?

I'd imagine it's where the gardai can't decide on the actual charges to be laid or if the facts are such that the DPP has to make a decision on whether to prosecute or not. There's info here: [broken link removed] on the DPP but I'm not 100% sure under what circumstances the DPP can be bypassed - perhaps summary offences? Confessions?

"When the Gardaí investigate a serious crime, they send a file to the DPP who decides what charges, if any, to bring." - whatever that means...

Sprite

Where the file is sent to the DPP, the Gardai may be awaiting directions from the DPP as to what exact offences to charge the person with. This could be because the issue is complex - unclear what exact crime suspect should be charged with or unclear whether enough evidence to secure a conviction in court.

I'd imagine if the person is charged on the spot, its clear cut what crime they are being accused off.

Ah - maybe WaterSprite's point about summary (versus indictable) offences is pertinent alright?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_Public_Prosecutions#Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indictable_offence

So does that mean that if a "file is sent to the DPP" it is a more serious issue than being charged directly by the Gardai or is it not as simple as that?

Minor offences such as traffic and minor public order can be dealt with on a summary basis at District Court - the Gardai present the case in Court.

For more serious offences at Circuit Criminal Court level or above, the DPP presents the case in court. The "file is sent to DPP" for all such cases.

Even if a person is immediately charged with an offence, a file will still be sent to the D.P.P.'S office. he may direct further charges, or ammend the charge, he may also direct that the culprit be sent forward to a higher court... Sometimes the initial charge is a holding charge to get the offender before the courts immediately, possibly with a view to a remand in custody